Thread: How do you fasten false drawer fronts?

How do you fasten false drawer fronts?

Hey all,

I've a sink base that's just about complete and now am beginning to think through the final details. One of them being attaching the false drawer fronts. What's the preferred method? I've seen, thought not quite sure where, a clip of sort that attaches to the back of the false front by one or two screw and spans the opening from the back. And offers a bit of adjustability. I guess I'd say similar to to a "Z" table top connector only the "Z" becomes essentially a "U".

Have any of you seen this clip? Or is there a better method?

Any info will be most appreciated.

Oh, by the way...I've just purchased a digital camera so you should begin to actually see photos soon.

Thanks,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

I attach a couple of short stile pieces right in the face frame. Screw into those into your false front.

Here's a picture from DIY...Joe...is this what yiou mean by "false front"?
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan

Drill the sub drawer front with 1/4" holes and position the "false" front..drill pilot holes dead center into the false front while it is clamped in place...use washer head screws 1 1/8" long and fasten. The oversized hole alows fine adjustment of the drawer front....some glides also have vertical adjustment

Last edited by Mark Singer; 01-12-2006 at 8:49 AM.
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

I have done what Glen showed and I have seen people use simple angle brackets.
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Thanks everyone for your responses.

I should have articulated further that the false front will be attached to openings in a sink base (i.e. no drawer boxes).

Glen - what you show is basically what I was looking for, but readily available versus making it myself. Although, what your showing is pretty simple. Thanks.

Mark - I went to buy some of those today for the other "real" drawer, but the smallest quantity I could get was a box of 1000. I decided on drilling a 1/4" hole (as you suggest) and use a 1 1/4" screw with a finish washer. Looks good and is also adjustable.

As it turns out, the customer has requested tip out trays for the sink base so the original request has become moot. Though I NOW know how to attach the fronts.

Thanks again,
    -joe
    Illegitimi non carborundum

"If you walk, just walk, if you sit, just sit, but whatever you do, don't wobble."
    -Zen Master Unmon

To gain additional features, benefits and ad-free access to SMC
    CLICK --> http://www.sawmillcreek.org/donate.php

See thread http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=29405 in which I illustrate the method for attaching false drawer fronts that was advocated by the late Danny Proulx.