Thread: design print out and digitize and plasma cut a metal sign

design print out and digitize and plasma cut a metal sign

going to show tracing out the paper diagram and getting the file
    ready for a plasma cut

Design print out and digitize and plasma cut a metal sign
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 07-27-2021 at 10:49 AM.

Nice work Stan! On another subject - can you cut steel with your 150W co2 laser cutter, and if so what is the maximum material thickness for mild steel you can cut?
    Thanks,
    David

no i cannot cut steel , I contract out my metal cuts
    My shop cannot have a plasma cutter , it would be like smoking in a wood match box

Stan - the reason I asked is that in one of your recent Youtube videos, you were duplicating a metal part by tracing and then cutting a duplicate with your 150W co2 laser. I thought you might be cutting some sort of fiber board, but wasn't sure.
    Thanks,
    David

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EWtu2T5EqA

yes I could not get into the plasma shop (covid problems), so i used a black hardboard like a masonite its 1/8 thick
    I just wanted to show the part fit

Also some metals do bother the drawing board tracing, so you might have to trace it with a pencil then digitize that pencil copy.
    I have had good luck tracing most metals , once a crescent wrench would not trace out

Magnetism maybe? Not uncommon for tools to become magnetized in a variety of ways but you can make a coil and demag pretty easily.

never thought about magnetized, I have also read some florescent. light can interfere
    Touch wood i have not had an issue like that

Yes - the GTCO Calcomp drawing board/tablet is very susceptible to EMI noise from fluorescent lighting. My drawing boards will not work with the fluorescent lights turned on. I have both T12 and T8 and they both cause this problem. I had to install some LED tubes in the areas where I wish to use the boards, or else use in the daytime with natural light and the fluorescent lights turned off.
    David

I use a florescent light, the base is about one foot above my drawing board so the lamp is about three feet above the board. I have not noticed any interference yet.
    When I first installed my graphics board I placed my laptop on the surface, that was a definite no no.

When I was young I spent a lot of time doing magnetic particle inspection. We inspected parts as large as nuclear turbine disks down to very small fasteners. Plenty of weld inspection as well. Most of the time we were required to de-Gauss after inspection, especially if subsequent steps involved precision machining or parts that were to be installed near sensitive equipment.

I have a small desk top fluorescent lamp that does not cause a problem. It is the 4 ft. T8 and 8 ft. T12 variety that have the large ballasts that put out all the noise - at least here in my shop.
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    I have a small desk top fluorescent lamp that does not cause a problem. It is the 4 ft. T8 and 8 ft. T12 variety that have the large ballasts that put out all the noise - at least here in my shop.
    David
    Are your light fixtures grounded?
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Are your light fixtures grounded?

Yes they are grounded.
    David

https://logicgroup.vids.io/videos/44...t-a-metal-sign

the utube platform has been hacked not sure when it swill come back

Stan - not sure why someone would "hack" your Vance Matsalla youtube channel, but you've still got your original here. Why not just put your videos on your own channel?
    You might also want to go to the Plasmaspider site and change the links for the Vance Matsalla videos to your new locations.
    David

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY0...UTOaxzg/videos