Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shop made micro-adjustable plunge base

Replies made tongue in cheek

I have worked in the aerospce industry for over 20 years - currently in satellite operations. I have known and worked with numerous machinsts and have had the opportunity to see their work in many applications, many of which are still in space and working perfectly. Bruce's work is very good and by the looks of the machining, top notch.

If my comments were inapproriate, I'm sorry. Perhaps if all the members had read the first words, it did say "nice work". There is probably no one in this forum has never used company resources for some type of personal work - whether it be printing or using a machine shop. This type of work, known as G jobs, has been done in the aerospace industry for years and will always continue. That is what I was referring to in my comments. I never intended to cause such a uproar over my comments. It's obvious that members jumped to conclusions after the fact, and other members jumped on the bandwagon, and the critiques snowballed. Seems like most negative comments about my reply just assumed I was knocking Bruce on a personal level. This far from the truth.
    Last edited by Mike Swindell; 01-14-2006 at 3:28 PM.

Thumbs up Way to go

Mike

That is a very heartfelt and appropriate apology! Too bad that sometimes written comments can't convey the nuances that we hear with the spoken word. Thanks for the post.

Jay

Bruce, very impressive!!. I want one, but then I guess so does everyone else on the creek. I do have a 9A southbend and have just started to play with it but this level of work is out of my league. Just curious though if you have drawings of your design as I love my bosch colt and this would make a great accessory.

Mike I'm glad to see you step up and appologize instead of just getting mad and not returning. I personally understand what you ment by your first post. I work in a major chemical plant and the "goverment" work as we call it goes on all the time, from someone wanting a lawnmower piece fixed to building large boat parts or others. I have used this resource before and I am not ashamed of it. It works on the old principle of you help me out and when you need help I will return the favor, very similar to the barter system.

Mike,

I didn't take offense to your statement, I spent ten years at NASA Langley and understand the government job reference

Clearly Bruce's work is top shelf and you can tell from his photos that he paid attention to the fit and finish part of the job. Looking closely you can tell he is an accomplished machinist. The scrapyards located anywhere near a Government facillity will always be full of high tech material that can be purchased for penny's, I have found some real bargains at scrapyards in Hampton Virginia on mateial and some very cool equipment as well. I have also worked for companies that allow employees access to scrap material, it saves them from having to pay the landfill fees.

Bruce, I just purchased a Bosch Colt router and used it for the first time yesterday. I am really impressed with the quality and how smooth it runs. I was also impressed with the design of the stock router base untill I saw yours

David Less Guest

Design Projects

Since we are having a design/build show off thought I'd post my router lift.

David

David,
    That is impressive...I like the floor structure of the router table...laminated plywood beams...impressive..like a battle ship
    "All great work starts with love .... then it is no longer work"

Very Nice Work!

Bruce,
    From one toolmaker to another nice job!. It takes years of learning from other skilled toolmakers to develop the knowledge it takes to do this kind of work. Some people never do get it. If you are a toolmaker you know what I mean. Similar to a top notch woodworker. You can't buy the machines and then make this kind of thing.
    It's this kind of skill that built the USA into what it is today. Virtually everything around you was produced with the involvement of a machinist.
    I believe this trade is or was the backbone of America. Unfortunately, there are not enough young people getting into it anymore. In the last few years with manufacturing moving overseas I've felt it is somewhat of a dying trade here in the states. Over half of the Mold shops in this area have closed up shop. You can buy a plastic injection mold from China cheaper than you can get the steel here. Something is wrong!
    Rant OFF!
    Great work Bruce!

very nice david! I wish I could find yours and david's at my local woodworking store! Do you guy have any books to recomend on making this kind of stuff?

Bruce, that is awesome, simply awesome! David I would like to see some more picture of yours and a description, it looks very well built.
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Brian King
    Bruce,
    From one toolmaker to another nice job!. It takes years of learning from other skilled toolmakers to develop the knowledge it takes to do this kind of work. Some people never do get it. If you are a toolmaker you know what I mean. Similar to a top notch woodworker. You can't buy the machines and then make this kind of thing.
    It's this kind of skill that built the USA into what it is today. Virtually everything around you was produced with the involvement of a machinist.
    I believe this trade is or was the backbone of America. Unfortunately, there are not enough young people getting into it anymore. In the last few years with manufacturing moving overseas I've felt it is somewhat of a dying trade here in the states. Over half of the Mold shops in this area have closed up shop. You can buy a plastic injection mold from China cheaper than you can get the steel here. Something is wrong!
    Rant OFF!
    Great work Bruce!
    Brian and others who work in the same industry, I too really admire the products you all produce from a chunk of metal. Like you, I too am concerned that our young people will not fill the gap left by the retiring machinist of the country. In my mind, machinist, and more specifically tool makers, are geniuses. What is your impression of the comment made earlier, eluding to the idea that machinist work isn't cheap? Could this be one of the factors that those jobs are being sent across the pond? It really is sad that we Americans want quality while in the same breath, demanding lower prices.

To the OP, sorry for the hijack. Your work is remarkable! I've been looking for ways to get into the machinist trade, but it seams that no one will hire based on your aspierations alone. So unless I find a way, I'll have to remain on the sidelines, wiping away the drool. Keep up the excellent work, and keep posting pictures of your remarkable work.

Take care,
    Ed

ed, most vocational schools offer night classes in different areas of metal working and many of the instructors are retired machinists who posses a wealth of knowledge......02 tod

Bruce,

Outstanding Craftsmanship !!

wow indeed !
    MARK

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans
    ed, most vocational schools offer night classes in different areas of metal working and many of the instructors are retired machinists who posses a wealth of knowledge......02 tod
    Thanks for the info Tod, I'll check to see if there are any our area.

Take care, Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Dev Emch View Post
    All it takes is a south bend heavy 10-L metal lathe and your on the way and I know exactly where you can find one. Suscribe to Home SHop Machinst Magazine and your addicted for life. Wait till you see what the guys are doing at the NAMES show! You will need to wire your jaw shut. Here is a little taste. I hope the base has a little wood in it to keep on topic.
    Took me forever to find what type of engine that was.. Wow. And with a turbo to boot.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Napier_Deltic

Thanks for that pic.

Thread resurrection

Sorry folks but after reviewing Bruce's thread on his workshop:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=100052

I just had to bump this thread. I have always said my complaint with the Colt was the absence of a plunge base but Bruce sure as heck solved that!
    Dewey

"Everything is better with Inlay or Marquetry!"