Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Shop made micro-adjustable plunge base

Very nicely done, Bruce. I wish I had the skills to do that kind of work.
    Where did I put that tape measure...

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wixey
    Bruce:

That is a fantastic looking piece of machining! Are you looking for work??

Barry
    Thanks Barry, I have enough work to keep me busy!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Wixey
    Bruce:

That is a fantastic looking piece of machining! Are you looking for work??

Barry
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page
    Thanks Barry, I have enough work to keep me busy!
    Barry,
    Seeing the good stuff that you are manufacturing, I can well understand why you would want to bring Bruce onboard. But considering the level Bruce works at, figure that he is reely reeely reeeely hard to get!
    Frank

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Chaffee
    Seeing the good stuff that you are manufacturing, I can well understand why you would want to bring Bruce onboard. But considering the level Bruce works at, figure that he is reely reeely reeeely hard to get!
    Speaking as a former aerospace engineer, the way it really works is, we may be easy but we're not cheap.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    Speaking as a former aerospace engineer, the way it really works is, we may be easy but we're not cheap.
    Yep, I've said that one a few times before..
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Amazing work! Really amazing!

Bruce & Dev
    Thanks for the informative writeups. This will definitely be my goal within the next couple of years. What would the LOML say when I tell her I want to get into this and she see's all those $$$$$ floating away.

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega
    Bruce & Dev
    Thanks for the informative writeups. This will definitely be my goal within the next couple of years. What would the LOML say when I tell her I want to get into this and she see's all those $$$$$ floating away.
    Yah, go for it. For the record, none of you guys looked to closely at the motor photo I posted in this thread. This motor is wird. It has not one but three crank shafts set in the pattern of a equilateral triangle. There are three banks of cylinders and each cylinder has not one but two pistons that work against each other. Think about this. This is model engineering at its finest.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud
    The size of the hole in the ground is directly proportional to the the amount of VALUE ENGINEERING you put into the product if it has to fly! Accuracy Costs. Period.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Bruce,

After being away for a day I just feel that I have to say more about this...

Your post is a perfect example of why I come to SMC every chance I get, seeing the photos of your work has inspired me. I may not ever get to work on machines like that but it teaches me something about what can be done, and challenges me to do something! Similar to the way I felt the first time I discovered Pat Warner's website.

THANK YOU for sharing the photos and explanations, I hope to see more in the future.

One must have goals to achieve, and my goal is to one day produce work at the level of yours. I may not get there, but I'll enjoy every minute trying.

Pete

Well I have been researching this too and have come across this WWW site:

http://www.jjjtrain.com/vms/

It has all sorts of good info on machining... For a complete newbie (like me ) I think that this will provide us with a ton of info

Quote Originally Posted by Gilbert Vega
    Bruce & Dev
    I can pay retail anywhere, so how's your service?
    Grabbing defeat from the jaws of victory one project at a time
    Maker of precision cut firewood

I, Walter Pater, do now solemnly swear never to attempt to make another jig again for the rest of my life.
    JOSEPH AND MARY, BRUCE, THAT IS PHENOMENAL!!!!

I second that Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich
    Bruce,

After being away for a day I just feel that I have to say more about this...

Your post is a perfect example of why I come to SMC every chance I get, seeing the photos of your work has inspired me. I may not ever get to work on machines like that but it teaches me something about what can be done, and challenges me to do something! Similar to the way I felt the first time I discovered Pat Warner's website.

THANK YOU for sharing the photos and explanations, I hope to see more in the future.

One must have goals to achieve, and my goal is to one day produce work at the level of yours. I may not get there, but I'll enjoy every minute trying.

Pete
    Well stated Peter,
    I echo your sentiments exactly.

Frank

Man, that is absolutely increible! I wish I knew how to do that sort of stuff! Very very nice!

How Great you are!
    Poor Antonio Stradivari, he never had a Shaper