Thread: Advice needed -- problem -- Super Dust Deputy - inlet and outlet sizing

Advice needed -- problem -- Super Dust Deputy - inlet and outlet sizing

I just bought a Super Dust Deputy. Its 5" inlet and 6" outlet are causing me big probs.

I have 6" hoses off my machines so I bought an HVAC 6" to 5" reducer (uncrimped at both ends).

The SDD's inlet is 5" (actually it's 5 1/8). And the SDD's outlet is 6" (really it's 6 1/8"). My hose won't fit over it either.

What is your advice to modify SOMETHING/ANYTHING to get these things to fit efficiently.

And - what are your thoughts re any advice so I can get this going fast -
    - how much extra room do I acquire if I buy crimped reducers and "un-crimp" some of the crimps
    - does it make sense to drill out the reducer's rivets, move the collar a little and use a #4 screw to hold it in the new position
    - where to buy rubber-type plumbing 6" to 5" reducer fitting
    Advice needed -- problem -- Super Dust Deputy - inlet and outlet sizing

Thanks.

Howard
    Howard Rosenberg

Go to just about any borg, plumbing supply outlet, or internet and look for a 6 x 6 Fernco fitting. They make them in all kinds of sizes and configurations. This will work. I have experience with that same setup. The flexible nature of the rubber will tighten on the 5" and will be just a little snug on the 6". It is designed for situations such as this.
    Here's a link to one I used;

https://www.supplyhouse.com/Fernco-1...st-Iron-or-PVC

As I stated before, they can be found at the box stores in the plumbing section. You may want to call before going to make sure they are in stock.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

Howard, I struggled with this as well. I used 5” HVAC duct on my system. Oneida now sells short collars that go from their SDD to the pipe.

https://www.oneida-air.com/5-inch-su...dapter-fitting

I have the same SDD in my temporary shop "as we speak. I was able to easily slip a piece of 6" hose over the outlet to connect to the blower. It was snug, but it fit and is sealed nicely with the clamp. For the inlet side, I needed to connect to 5" clamp together from Blastgate company, so I had them size a machine adapter to slip over the inlet. Oneida actually carries an adapter for this purpose; supposedly, it ships with current SDD sales as part of the package, but older ones like I have (bought used) didn't come with it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Fernco makes them in all sorts of sizes. 5 and 6 " for pvc, steel, cast iron. clay orenegburg, asbestos etc.
    For mine I took a 18" long piece of 6" PVC. I cut out a wedge lengthwise that tapered from nothing to a gap of 3.1415 inches(Pi). Used a heat gun and hose clamps to rebend it into a long funnel.
    If you can borrow a 5-6" Cherne plug you can expand the pipe when it is warm. Or make a tapered plug on the lathe.
    Bill D

I use mine with 5" flex hoses.
    I put the flex hose in hot water to slightly soften the hose and make it easier to get over the inlet.
    (the outlet has a reducer, although I recall that not fitting all that great, either)

Matt

A lot of great ideas here - thank you.

My next stop is looking up Fernco products for the inlet and heating up the 6" hose for the outlet.

Once again, many thanks.
    Howard Rosenberg

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I have the same SDD in my temporary shop "as we speak. I was able to easily slip a piece of 6" hose over the outlet to connect to the blower. It was snug, but it fit and is sealed nicely with the clamp. For the inlet side, I needed to connect to 5" clamp together from Blastgate company, so I had them size a machine adapter to slip over the inlet. Oneida actually carries an adapter for this purpose; supposedly, it ships with current SDD sales as part of the package, but older ones like I have (bought used) didn't come with it.
    Same here Jim. I stumbled upon the adaptor collar when I jumped onto their site to order a few wyes. It works great on the inlet side with 23ga 5” HVAC pipe.

Yes, it's good that Oneida offers the adapter for folks who have existing SDD that didn't come with it. The nice folks at Blastgate Company (and I imagine Nordfab, too) have a machine that can stretch or shrink the machine side of the offered machine adapters so they can fit onto "whatever" for no extra charge. You just specify the exact diameter you want, ID or OD, and that's how it arrives in the box. I used that service for both the SDD inlet and for the port on my drum sander. I decided not to do that for the 100mm port on the bandsaw as well the plastic ports on my router table and downdraft table as I already had machine adapters from Grizzly and was able to make a connection using a short piece of 4" hose and the machine adapter. The one for the SDD fit like a glove and only required a tiny bit of sealant (cause the inlet changes diameter slightly as you get away from the end and a wrap of foil tape. I would imagine that the Oneida adapter would be similar.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...