Thread: Miter folding - video recommendation

Miter folding - video recommendation

I've been watching a YouTube channel lately called "Insider Carpentry - Spencer Lewis". He's a young guy but a truly excellent teacher and craftsman. He's a trim / finish carpenter but works to a level that many of us aspire to. Here's a great example of his work, about miter folding plywood, that might be useful to many on this forum. No affiliation or relation with this person, btw.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOmfHS3HtqM

I use miterfolds a lot. I do things a little differently. I cut the joints at 45 degrees on a sliding table saw, and use 3M packing tape burnished down with a wood block prior to gluing. My joints come together square and tight without a lot of glue seepage at the outside corner and don't need to be burnished after assembly. And somebody loan that guy a glue brush!

Blog Entries
    I use miterfolds and lockmiters depending on how I'm feeling..

Ran out of packing tape, so I used what I had laying around
    20210712_201756.jpg

20210713_214349.jpg

Brian Evans: thanks for posting that link. Took the time to view it and found it very well done and informative. I especially liked that he mentioned the pros and cons of his method. Bookmarked his site to watch other videos. Thanks again.

I am consistently impressed with this guy. I don't do trim carpentry other than a few small projects around the house but I find his attention to detail, planning, and methods of work inspiring. Here's another one that blew me away:

I've been watching Spencer for quite a while. Some of the homes he's hired to work on are very impressive. I would imagine the trim packages he provides alone are easily into low six figure range. He's a great teacher, very humble and talented far beyond his age! I understand he's largely self taught as well. He's also very good at providing objective tool and other product reviews. I'm very impressed with his young man!
    "Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
    Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the decision." Ben Franklin