Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cutting polysio foam insulation with a track saw

Whatever method you choose, accuracy will be a good thing, not just for visual appeal, but also because it cuts down the amount of sealing you'll need to do along the edges of the material. Straight cuts and a snug fit are a good thing.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Jigsaw with appropriate blade

If you are looking for a saw to cut a such insulation, consider a guided jigsaw with appropriate blade.

Bosch makes blade specific for it but I guess it can be done by other manufacturers also. These blades are toothless and have some kind of waved knife like cut similar to traditional bread knife.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

I switched to a thin putty knife sharpened along its side, after trying a serrated knife and twin-blade electric knife (which is the cat's meow for soft foam cushions, BTW). The putty knife's length makes cutting straight lines especially easy. Cuts are clean and beautiful. I don't remember where I saw this tip, but it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Cannon View Post
    I switched to a thin putty knife sharpened along its side, after trying a serrated knife and twin-blade electric knife (which is the cat's meow for soft foam cushions, BTW). The putty knife's length makes cutting straight lines especially easy. Cuts are clean and beautiful. I don't remember where I saw this tip, but it works great.
    I saw a similar tip as well. I just use a big knife since my use was limited to about 3 sheets of it. If I had more I would have sharpened up a putty knife. I tried using my circular saw, but found the dust it made stuck everywhere and was a huge pain to clean up.

Used a big kitchen knife and it went well today. After I cut it I shaved it back a few degrees so it fit in better here and there. Still made a big mess. Not as messy as styrofoam. I cut once at about 60 degrees to the travel maybe one inch deep then came back and went all the way through 2" deep pushing and rocking the blade on both ends.
    Bill D

Mafell makes this little gem of a track saw for cutting insulation.
    https://www.timberwolftools.com/mafe...insulation-saw
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Mafell makes this little gem of a track saw for cutting insulation.
    https://www.timberwolftools.com/mafe...insulation-saw
    IDK. $3800 saw vs pilfered knife. That's a tough call.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

$3800 saw
    That's the cheap one! :O
    The upgraded one is over 8 grand. It comes with the dust collector & table.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Installers that I have seen all seem to wear a knife. Bread knife works great for me.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.