Thread: Rust Addiction Takes its Toll

Blog Entries

Rust Addiction Takes its Toll

Needed a few things in town today. On the way home a Garage Sale sign seemed to be calling to me. Caught a whiff of rusty plane and there was no help for me, Candy wanted to stay home today.

Dang, made a U-turn and went back to check it out. Didn't see much until turning a corner and there were a few planes. One in particular caught my eye:

Chaplin's Patent Plane.jpg

It is a Chaplin's Patent Plane or so it says around the knob. Patent is 1872.

It is about the same size as a Stanley/Bailey #6.

Not sure what to do with this as there really isn't a place or need for it in my shop.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-25-2021 at 7:15 PM. Reason: wording
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

But lack of space/need didn't stop you from getting it.
    Looking forward to the restoration saga.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

I have a Chaplin #8 sizedd plane with corrugated sole. It was my 1st jointer and is now unused. Going to sell it as ssoon as I figure out how to box it.

What was that warning sign of old....."Abandon all hope, ye that enter here..."
    Planes, today, No. 6, No.6c.JPG
    A No. 6c AND a no. 6....
    Planes, today, No. 6 soles.JPG

Just for fun...moor up a No. 7c, while we're at it....talking jointers....
    Planes, today, No. 7c.JPG
    Not that much difference, after all......
    Planes, today, plane til.JPG
    I better put them back in their house....Note that wooden one up on the roof.....

Does your nose itch when you try to drive past a Sale? Park out in front, by the road, and can just smell the rust from there?
    A Planer? I'm the Planer, and this is what I use

Jim,

BTDT. My wife and I are packing for a move this week. Rust fever has become a problem because of having to pack all of the stuff up, and the moving date is coming at me like a freight train. However, I don't have the disease nearly as badly as you and Steven, or perhaps I just lack the opportunities you folks have. If I had the opportunities you folks have I would be in even more serious trouble with the better half than I am now. Hopefully I have learned my lesson (this is yet to be determined.)

Clean it up, restore it to beauty, sharpen it up, cut some curls, and take pictures for us to look at! It may turn out to be a very handsome plane, or at least one that has the fanciest profile of any I have ever seen. (Not sure if a fancy profile is a plus or a minus. I have a flat side bedrock or two, but like the round side profile planes better, appearance wise.)

At least many of the rest of us can sympathize with your rust problem situation.

My name is Stew, I have a rust problem!

Regards,

Stew
    Last edited by Stew Denton; 07-26-2021 at 8:36 AM.

I like the Batman style sides. Is it a single iron plane? I have a three lever Metallic Plane Co. with a useless single iron and a missing screw cap, some day it will be used. Looking forward to your restore.

temp_MPC.jpg

Blog Entries
    The chip breaker is part of the lever cap.

It may be awhile before any effort at restoration is attempted on this plane. There are too many other things going on right now.

These may have been popular in my area at one time. Bob Kaune, up on the Olympic Peninsula, has five Chaplin bench planes and a couple of block planes listed currently.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)