Thread: Red Meranti

Red Meranti

The wife wants custom cabinets built into our bedroom closet. I would love to use Doug Fir but finding nice tight grain fir has become difficult. Opinions regarding red meranti as a material for cabinetry would be appreciated.

I had no issue sourcing very nice VG fir from my local independent lumber/building yard a couple years ago, so don't give up on it if it's the look you want. Red meranti seems to be a very nice looking species based on photos I just looked at and it's said to be a good furniture wood other than when bending is required. It's a member of the luan family.

I wouldn't build the cabinet carcass out of solid wood, anyway...use the solid stock for visible frames/drawer-fronts/doors and use pre-finished plywood for the carcases.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I bought the last of the VG Fir from our local supplier a couple years ago to build 3 small cabinets in our kitchen. Gorgeous stuff. I have a bit of it left on the racks but not enough for closet project.

To me fir looks cheap when used in cabinets--gives off a DIY look. The Meranti plywood I have bought is much better looking.
    "Anything seems possible when you don't know what you're doing."

I’m sure it would make a nice job. But I can’t enjoy closets ,no matter how luxurious. I like white low gloss paint for closets , easy to see
    and easy to check color pairings.

Quote Originally Posted by andy bessette View Post
    To me fir looks cheap when used in cabinets--gives off a DIY look. The Meranti plywood I have bought is much better looking.
    Thanks Andy for your thoughts regarding Meranti plywood. However, I could not disagree more strongly with that statement regarding fir. Go to michaelgrafarchitect.com and open the cabinetry link. Scroll thru photos to find the fir kitchen I made several years ago. Tight grain VG Fir is gorgeous in my opinion. But that is why they make chocolate and vanilla and ymmv.
    I can no longer find suitable fir for cabinets and considering other options for this project.

Tight grain VG Fir is gorgeous in my opinion
    & you're welcome to yours I suppose....

No matter how much I agree with it!

I share your opinion on Fir.
    Beautiful material.
    Outstanding natural color when finished with a good oil based varnish & grain structure to match a lot of straight grained hardwoods.

Exterior performance has to be experienced to believe.
    My cedar deck's facia boards were untreated & unfinished fir & they held up for nearly 15 years.
    My in laws had a picnic table made of Fir that had nearly all it's finish worn off over the 30+ years we used it & it was mostly all intact when they died a few years ago.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Most of the cabinets I make do get painted but this project will be finished with Mahoney's walnut oil.
    Also considering Butternut which was suggested by my woodworking brother in law. Ash is also on the table as is Jatoba.

Jatoba - another one of my favorites....

BUT...inside a closet it's probably too dark.
    Ash makes more sense.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Jatoba - another one of my favorites....

BUT...inside a closet it's probably too dark.
    Ash makes more sense.
    Let me clarify, this is not a walk in closet. It will be 102" long and go floor to ceiling.

Meranti will have to wait for another time/project. I did indeed find some beautiful fir. Very exciting to have great material to work with.

We have two closets 10 ft x 30" with two 4ft lights in each. That's the way to see what you select.