Thread: We lost a great turner today.

Unhappy We lost a great turner today.

Just found out that Bill Grumbine passed away. He was a passionate man about many things and lucky for us, he shared his passion of turning with us through his DVDs and demos. Words fail me. He will be missed! RIP Bill!
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

So sorry to hear that.
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I count myself fortunate to have known him, to have attended one of his 5ive Barns picnics, and to have kept in touch with him over the years. We had many common interests.

See you on the other side, Bill.
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore

So sad of the news. I met and spent time with Bill. A great woodturner he was...as well as a good man, father, and community supporter. He will be missed.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

That is sad news. IIRC, he was once active here at SMC.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

sad news, condolences.
    Vortex! What Vortex?

I had many conversations with him, but never got to meet him personally.

robo hippy

I'm sorry to hear of Bill's passing! When I began turning, a book by an English turner and Bill's DVD's were my main source of information as I didn't know any other turners lived in the area. RIP Bill!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Sad to hear this news. Bill's DVDs were some of my first instructional videos when I started turning. Lost a talented and passionate turner.
    Dick Mahany.

Yes, sad news. Years ago when I first started turning I borrowed his video that was offered here at SMC. I couldn’t believe it when he called me when I had a question about the video.

Funny out of all I learned from his video I constantly remember almost falling out of my chair when he described the use of his turning muscle and couldn’t understand how skinny guys could turn.

Bill, A wonderful person that I will always remember. A great demonstrator and conversationalist , and the video I have of him is terrific .
    Will be missed by many
    "If a tree falls in the forrest, and no one is around, do you make a bowl out of it?" (Jerry Rhoads)

Very sad. There was a thread on another forum with updates from his wife about his struggle with a "very" advanced Covid over the last three weeks.
    Sir Grumbine will be missed by countless people. We can keep his loved ones in our prayers.
    I never met Bill but I felt I knew him through others, his posts, and his DVDs. I don't think people would mind if I shared a few of the comments that revealed a bit of his character:

- May the Lord remember his great fatherly attributes and willingness to help others. He will be missed by all of us.

- Bill was a great turner, a wonderful teacher, a devoted family man of great faith. He was also very funny, with a booming voice and a quick wit. His Five Barns Picnics were legendary

- I’ll never forget my first meeting walking up the the door, ringing the bell and hearing that Click Click Sound, then the baritone voice demanding.. “Friend or Foe?”.... We shared a lot of good humour and time at the tool rest, Bill was not pretend, he was what you saw and he was generous and loyal to his friends.

JKJ

We had Bill come and teach at Rochester Woodworkers Society several years ago. He was a great teacher and a talented turner. I feel sorry for his family. He will be missed.

One of the good ones for sure. Very sad loss. I had the privilege to meet him several times and take a workshop form him a bunch of years ago. Got to go to the last 5 Barns too. Got to test drive his new Robust lathe and a giant bowl gouge that Doug T made for him. Great guy all around and my life is richer for having met him. RIP Bill-you're still outstanding in your field. My condolences to his family and friends.
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!