Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: They took away my mineral spirits!

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    Rod,
    I’m a huge fan of Vermont Natural Coatings and their Polywhey varnish. FWW did a comparison of brushing varnishes some years ago and VNC rated very high. An extra virtue is that FWW recommended those cheap foam brushes. I put on a coat and then just wash the brush like any sponge. Re-coat in a half hour.

I noticed that people just can’t stop fondling projects varnished with this stuff. It has this kind of buttery feel that just feels good. The other thing I notice about Polywhey is the sound/feel when I tap it with my fingernails. It’s more like clicking glass or porcelain.
    That sounds like something I'd like - I am just a noob beginner here and only doing some small projects as I get time, but I love the sound of that.
    Is this the product that you are referring to?

https://vermontnaturalcoatings.com/p...with-polywhey/
    Last edited by Chess Baloo; 08-05-2021 at 9:00 AM.

Me too. Everything you say. I am grateful we don't have smog days here in California like we did when I was a kid in the 1970s. But I believe the ban on sale in the state was largely aimed to curtail industrial use, which is why we have lost most if not all of our furniture manufacturers to other states.

Every few years, I take a day trip through the desert in my EV and pick up a couple of gallons across the border in NV because I have never been able to find a substitute that does the job.

We had visitors coming from Phoenix at Christmas, and six gallons of MS came with them, at our request.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

I have had the same five gallon bucket of paint thinner for decades. I clean my gun, buckets and brushes with about a 1/2 cup of new thinner. Works great. You may want to try an actual paint store like SW.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Hayward View Post
    A few years back I accidently splashed acetone on a less than one week old $900+ washing machine front. Instantly turned the clear plastic loading door opaque in a random pattern. I still have not heard the end of that.
    I have polished a few acrylic aquariums from barely translucent to transparent with the Novus polishes made for acrylic. It does an excellent job and should help quiet the peanut gallery. It is also the best polish I have found for the plastic headlights on modern cars. If the etching is REALLY deep on the washing machine you can start with 1500 grit wet dry then go to 2000 grit wet dry before using the heaviest biting Novus polish. I use a spray bottle with soapy water with the wet / dry sandpaper.

https://www.amazon.com/NOVUS-PK1-2-P...65221825&psc=1
    Last edited by Michael Schuch; 07-11-2022 at 2:42 PM.