Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: They took away my mineral spirits!

I like oil based paints. I have a five gallon bucket of used thinner that is probably thirty years old. I use two paint buckets and pour the old into each to clean my brush. First bucket turns the paint color as I work the brush and clean the bucket walls, Shake it out and move to the second bucket. Shake out again and turn to the five gallon bucket for finale rinse and pour some fresh thinner into the brush shake and towel dry. Pour the 1st bucket into the five gallon bucket and use the second bucket to rinse the dirty one gallon bucket. Store paint buckets upside down and put a lid on the five gallon bucket. In one week the paint solids settle and I have two or three gallons of fresh clear thinner. I actually use more thinner to thin paint than I do to clean my brushes. I would hate to contaminate my system with that green garbage. You may want to try a actual paint store that will still sell oil based paint. Borg's have pretty much stopped carrying the stuff.

Blog Entries
    I accidentally bought a gallon of the green stuff. +1 on all the negative attributes. I keep forgetting to take it to the local hazardous waste dropoff. My local Sherwin Williams carries the good stuff. I also keep a dirty and a clean bottle. Clean the brush initially in the dirty stuff and empty back into dirty. Final cleaning in clean stuff and empty into dirty.

I really should decant the clear liquid off of the dirty into a new bottle and take the dregs to hazardous waste. Particularly since I accidentally dumped some of the green stuff in there.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rod Sheridan View Post
    I almost exclusively used solvent based finishes and didn’t like the look of water based polyurethane finishes.

Then I found a Minwax oil modified polyurethane and it looks very much like oil based when it’s dry.

3 or 4 coats in a day is very nice as well….Rod.
    Rod,
    I’m a huge fan of Vermont Natural Coatings and their Polywhey varnish. FWW did a comparison of brushing varnishes some years ago and VNC rated very high. An extra virtue is that FWW recommended those cheap foam brushes. I put on a coat and then just wash the brush like any sponge. Re-coat in a half hour.

I noticed that people just can’t stop fondling projects varnished with this stuff. It has this kind of buttery feel that just feels good. The other thing I notice about Polywhey is the sound/feel when I tap it with my fingernails. It’s more like clicking glass or porcelain.

im about to make us a new headboard. The bride wants white so I will be trying C2 paint that uses Polywhey.

I can get MS, so no issues with thinning here. But at $8-$15/gal, I am getting reluctant to use for cleaning brushes. There will come a time when I just toss $3-$4 brushes, rather than use $3-$4 of MS to clean them.

Nice new clean flexible brush very time? Oh, darn! What a sacrifice!

Or, I guess I could run it thru the still. Wonder what that will do to my next bourbon run?
    Last edited by Malcolm McLeod; 07-26-2021 at 7:56 PM. Reason: Typo

When we moved out of CA in late ‘85 there were 24M people and I thought it was overcrowded then. In ‘11 with both of my children living in CA we chased them. I have girls and they can run but they cannot hide. In ‘11 when we returned there were close to 39M people. Why, well on its own it is the 5th largest economy in the world. Yes, people, at last, are leaving, as they should. If my kids would leave, I too would go. Every night before I go to bed I go to Yubanet and check the local and broader fire situation. The entire West does. Climate change has ruined it, or perhaps more correctly, the 39M have. I’m old enough to remember the smog in every major city. I am happy to be able to breathe in those cities and I covered them all in my business. That happened largely by the leadership of CA and that leadership in climate issues continues. I lived in Nebraska in ‘77 and it is wonderful country and fine people. Actually, it’s kinda funny. I was perfectly happy living in sin with this wonderful woman. A year in NE and I left married, now for 43 yrs. All you few out in the Sand Hill Country should be wary. They will keep coming Enjoy!

Thanks Roger, I found a local dealer and will try the product……Rod

I'm in Sacramento. Couldn't get denatured alcohol any longer, so I took a very nice drive to Reno and got all the DNA I'll ever need. If you really need it, take a drive.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    I'm in Sacramento. Couldn't get denatured alcohol any longer, so I took a very nice drive to Reno and got all the DNA I'll ever need. If you really need it, take a drive.

At about $4-5 per gallon for gas to get to Reno and back. (I grew up in Sacto.)
    Randy Cox
    Lt Colonel, USAF (ret.)

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I think acetone would be the closest replacement for mineral spirits, won’t leave an oily residue and I think flashes off quicker - is that banned in Cali? Also I think MS has been banned in cali as it adds to the ozone which increases the smog so they say…. Maybe everyone knew this already…don’t shoot the messenger

No! I just bought a gallon at the Orange box. I'll have to pay attention to mineral spirits now and see what's up. I still have some but now that it's worth gold prices....
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Randall J Cox View Post
    At about $4-5 per gallon for gas to get to Reno and back. (I grew up in Sacto.)
    I looked at it like a mini vaca...lol. Sacto rahhh!

The green Kleen Strip DNA is actually the good stuff around here. Much higher ethanol content (85-90%). The regular stuff is 30-50% ethanol, and the rest methanol. Although, at the beginning of the pandemic I got a couple of gallons of lab grade ethanol for making hand sanitizer. Works great for other stuff in the workshop. And, if ever booze becomes scarce...

But, at least so far, no issues getting mineral spirits here.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark e Kessler View Post
    I think acetone would be the closest replacement for mineral spirits, won’t leave an oily residue and I think flashes off quicker - is that banned in Cali? Also I think MS has been banned in cali as it adds to the ozone which increases the smog so they say…. Maybe everyone knew this already…don’t shoot the messenger
    Be very careful what you use it on, acetone is a very powerful solvent and will ruin a good number of plastics, finishes and paint. I think HDPE is safe, but don't take my word on that. It also dries very quickly which can be an issue or benefit depending on what you're using it for.

Quote Originally Posted by Myles Moran View Post
    Be very careful what you use it on, acetone is a very powerful solvent and will ruin a good number of plastics, finishes and paint.
    A few years back I accidently splashed acetone on a less than one week old $900+ washing machine front. Instantly turned the clear plastic loading door opaque in a random pattern. I still have not heard the end of that.

14. Quote Originally Posted by Myles Moran View Post
    Be very careful what you use it on, acetone is a very powerful solvent and will ruin a good number of plastics, finishes and paint. I think HDPE is safe, but don't take my word on that. It also dries very quickly which can be an issue or benefit depending on what you're using it for.
    I heard you should not clean metal with acetone then weld it, it creates some kind of deadly fumes. Or maybe that was brake cleaner.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Frederick View Post
    When we moved out of CA in late ‘85 there were 24M people and I thought it was overcrowded then. In ‘11 with both of my children living in CA we chased them. I have girls and they can run but they cannot hide. In ‘11 when we returned there were close to 39M people. Why, well on its own it is the 5th largest economy in the world. Yes, people, at last, are leaving, as they should. If my kids would leave, I too would go. Every night before I go to bed I go to Yubanet and check the local and broader fire situation. The entire West does. Climate change has ruined it, or perhaps more correctly, the 39M have. I’m old enough to remember the smog in every major city. I am happy to be able to breathe in those cities and I covered them all in my business. That happened largely by the leadership of CA and that leadership in climate issues continues. I lived in Nebraska in ‘77 and it is wonderful country and fine people. Actually, it’s kinda funny. I was perfectly happy living in sin with this wonderful woman. A year in NE and I left married, now for 43 yrs. All you few out in the Sand Hill Country should be wary. They will keep coming Enjoy!
    It's a little alarming, being one of the few of the Sandhills Country, to see the constant stream of imports. Guess I can't do anything about it, so I might as well enjoy the show. Did you live in the sandhills?