Thread: dropping in on a stopped shaper cut

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

dropping in on a stopped shaper cut

I am making parts for some closets. The center dividers supporting adjustable shelves require a dado to accept a concealed cleat at the back and floor. Had I planned correctly I could have run the bottom grooves through and then banded the front edge. As it happened, I had to to do a stopped cut, so I thought I would post some photos of the process. Suggestions for improvement are more than welcome.

Stopped cuts are potentially hazardous and should be thought through before undertaking. "Dropping in" refers to swinging the workpiece into the revolving cutter and continuing the cut. It requires a backstop for safety. The heavier the cut the greater chance for kickback.

The only groover I had that would make the cut 3/4" wide and 1 1/8" deep was 1/4" thick so I set its height once for the outer cuts, so the groove would be centered, then raised it 1/4" for the center cut. In one direction I entered straight in and hand-fed the pieces until the banding aligned with the fence cutout, then pivoted the trailing edge away from the cutter. In the other direction I rested the banded edge against a stop screwed to a fence extension, pivoted the leading edge into the cutter and pushed through the cut. The free end of the workpiece was supported by roller stands.DSC_0688[1].jpgDSC_0690[1].jpgDSC_0689[1].jpgDSC_0691[1].jpg
    Last edited by Kevin Jenness; 07-24-2021 at 6:43 PM.