Thread: Confused

Question Confused

Last week I had an issue with my Nice Cut 100 watt laser, the emergency stop switch failed. I ordered a new switch and installed it expecting the laser to come back to life but it didn't. I have taken my volt-ohms meter and traced power through the machine. I have power coming into the machine, I have power through the breaker on the machine, I have no power at the emergency switch I just installed. Before I had power coming to the emergency switch but not on the downstream side of the switch, the contacts in the switch had gone bad and switch was extremely hot. I don't understand why I have no power to the emergency switch now. What else do I need to look for? I thought about the power supply but I expect it to be downstream of the emergency switch so I don't think that is the problem. Any ideas?

Thanks
    Terry Wade
    BEC Fiber Laser 50 watts with Rotary Attachment and supplied EzCad
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment
    Shenhui 350 50 watts with supplied RDWorksV8
    Sherline CNC Milling Machine
    Concrete Printer CNC Engraver

Finally the mystery is solved. I had a friend of mine come take a look at it just to put another set of eyes on the situation and to see what I wasn't, and we found a couple of loose connections that once tightened gave us power again. I would have never thought that these connections could come loose, I mean that the laser doesn't vibrate that much. But evidently enough to cause the problem. Very good to have the laser back up and running. It was driving me nuts.
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment

Couldn't guess at the number of bad connections in one form or another that have made various parts of my life hell over the years

Glad you got it taken care of!
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

I can identify with that Kev, this wasn't the first time in my life this type of stuff happened and I have been asked by friends to look at stuff for them. After this I will about once a year pull the plug and grab my screwdrivers and be sure every screw on the machine is TIGHT, no more loose screws, it causes me to have loose screws.