Thread: What is in sunscreen

Blog Entries

What is in sunscreen

My two mischievous grandsons, dumped out a whole bottle of sunscreen on our nicely resurfaced concrete. Nobody noticed before it dried up into some sort impenetrable gunk. We tried soaps, goo gone, vinegar and ammonia. A power washer had no effect. I finally tried mineral spirits and that seemed to cut it some but May have damaged the stain. The best description I can offer is bubble gum. Im tempted to try freezing.

anybody have experience with this stuff?

No idea but our friend just returned some to the store. She saw something on tv that her brand has ingredients that can cause cancer.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    No idea but our friend just returned some to the store. She saw something on tv that her brand has ingredients that can cause cancer.
    Bill D
    Several kinds of Neutragena an Aveeno contain benzene. If you file a claim, they will refund you $6. They claim it is harmless.

Blog Entries
    I just want to know what the goo is. This stuff is impenetrable.

Several kinds of Neutragena an Aveeno contain benzene.
    That being the case - the goo is probably what's left over after the benzene evaporates.
    Lighter fluid, Naphtha are both more or less benzene.

You can try that & see if it does anything to the goo.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Blog Entries
    Call em. They may actually be helpful in suggesting ways to remove it.

The 'active' ingredient in good brands is zinc oxide. My dermatologist insists I use that. So, after all the solvents and other liquids evaporate you are left with that and other solids. I'd try benzene too, or other light petroleum based solvents. Just browse the paint thinner aisle at Lowes.

Wet thoroughly with the solvent and cover tightly with plastic sheeting for several hours.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Feeley View Post
    I just want to know what the goo is. This stuff is impenetrable.
    Sunscreens can be chemical or particulate. The chemical stuff will wash away with solvents. If you have a whiteish residue, then it's the particulates. It will be either or both of Zinc oxide or Titanium dioxide - bith harmless, both a pain in the rear to shift... The particles are very small, so it's like getting fine sandpaper grit clogged into the floor.

My sisters kids rubbed deodorant on some antique teak furniture that is open grained. You can still see the white in the pores. She asked me back then how to clean it and I had no clue. Before the internet.
    The kids are 32 years old now. It has faded a bit I think or I got used. to seeing it over the decades.
    Bill D