Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New shop done!

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    It's interesting that you call out things that I'm desiring for my proposed new shop building...10' walls, for example which I am truly looking forward to...and that you lament the lack of driveway access, which will likely also be the case here because of where I need to site the building to both meet zoning requirements as well as to avoid taking down live trees. I've been giving thought to using some transom type windows, too. I will have some regular windows, too, as I'm not particularly wall bound with how I utilize my shop, but using those shorter, but higher up windows can add a lot more natural light without compromising usable wall space as you note.
    Hi Jim, I’m very happy with the 10’ ceiling, pitching to 12.5 in the center. All of the duct work is 10ft about the floor and completely out of the way when handling sheet goods. Of course, hanging duct work from a ceiling like that was not particularly fun, but it did give me a good excuse for buying a new step ladder ! I was sold on the idea of 10’ ceilings from reading comments on this forum, which has always been a terrific resource for me.

I'm also sold on the 10' base ceiling height myself base on many comments and photos over the years. The incremental cost difference isn't huge, but the utility is, and that's what I'll be shooting for. It will also allow me to go comfortably to vertical material storage which if done right, can be more efficient and easier to select from.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm also sold on the 10' base ceiling height myself base on many comments and photos over the years. The incremental cost difference isn't huge, but the utility is, and that's what I'll be shooting for. It will also allow me to go comfortably to vertical material storage which if done right, can be more efficient and easier to select from.
    I hadn’t thought about storing my lumber vertically until you just now mentioned it. It probably is a more convenient way to sort through wood, but I don’t know that I want to give up the floor space. Have you see any good designs for vertical storage posted?

I hadn’t thought about storing my lumber vertically until you just now mentioned it. It probably is a more convenient way to sort through wood, but I don’t know that I want to give up the floor space. Have you see any good designs for vertical storage posted?

Quote Originally Posted by bob cohen View Post
    That's the nice thing about vertical storage...yes, it uses a little floor space, but it's limited in most cases. What's most important about this method is that the material is fully supported along the lengths from the floor up. The material isn't truly "vertical", as in 90º to the floor. It's necessarily leaning and it cannot be only touching at the bottom and the top. There must be intermediate support along the plane that's parallel to the lean, as it were. I don't have any concrete designs, but there are lots of folks who store lumber this way. Sheet goods are also handled similarly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I'm jealous!

Please send your address so I can come over and make a mess.
    “Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness..." - Mark Twain

Really nice shop! Congratulations!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Julie Moriarty View Post
    I'm jealous!

Please send your address so I can come over and make a mess.
    If you’re in the blacksburg, va area, I’d be happy to show you or anyone else the shop.

Awesome shop. Congratulations.
    Regards,

Kris

I passed the Blacksburg exit on I-81 twice in the last week and thought of your shop. In related news, James Taylor and Jackson Browne were great.

Top Shelf all the way. Really nice.