Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Pipe Is The Strongest

What Pipe Is The Strongest

I need to use some 1" x 5' non metalic pipe for rollers to move a big crate like the Egyptians did, so which type is the strongest, for crushing force?

PVC, Elect conduit, or is there another type I'm missing?
    WoodsShop

Might help if you could share the weight load that will ride on it and how far the travel distance will be. 1" PVC is pretty strong and light to move. Hope the floor is clean and flat, a 1" will hit the breaks if there are any bumps.

The crate weighs around 380 Lbs and I'll have three rollers under it. It'll be rolling on a smooth surface.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    WoodsShop

I'm sure you'll get plenty of responses but PVC pipe was designed for plumbing not high crush strength rollers.
    That said, 380lbs. isn't all that much spread accross two sections of pipe, the third not being present the entire time.

I wouldn't be afraid to do it with PVC but I'd use 5-6 pieces at least. You'll have a few under the load and they will not be evenly spaced and you'll be shuttling a few more from back to front.

it doesn't have to be PVC, just has to be non metalic, 1" or 1.5" size.
    WoodsShop

Blog Entries
    You could put the whole 350 lbs on even a 1' long piece of sch40 1" PVC & it wouldn't crush it. 3/4" would resist crushing even better, but wouldn't roll quite as easily.
    Last edited by Frank Pratt; 07-23-2021 at 2:54 PM.

That is not much weight, get 4 or 5 pieces to roll and at some point you will end up with only two or three at a time.

PVC electrical conduit seems to be more flexible than PVC drain pipe. I would think more flexible would mean less chance of cracking although I couldn't break some PVC plumbing pipe I was throwing out.

Why not use some closet rod, if you can find some straight enough. I don't think you have to worry about crushing it.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I think pixy stix would roll 380 pounds. Anything would be fine, but electrical conduit is cheap. Black pipe would be a lot stronger, but again, 380 pounds isn’t much to worry about.

Get some cheap moving dollies from Harbor Freight. One near each corner. That way, not only will it roll easily, but you will be able to turn much easier, or go sideways. The moving dollies will come in good again.

I fill in the space between the carpet end runners with scrap plywood. That way legs of something can sit on them too. I moved a large Dining Room table with a couple, just this afternoon. I put them under the legs on one end, and picked up the other end to move it from one room back where it goes.

https://www.harborfreight.com/18-in-...lly-63098.html
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-23-2021 at 5:50 PM.

yeah I went with 3/4 galvy pipe just to be safe as I'll have a unusual setup, to load / roll it right into the back of a box truck so I don't need to rent a forklift, I'll let you know how it goes!
    WoodsShop

I'd probably have picked up a HF crane for a couple hundred bucks
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Blog Entries
    Decision has been made, but grey electrical PVC conduit is schedule 80, which is thicker than sch 40 PVC water pipe.
    NOW you tell me...