Thread: My new jointer and a question

My new jointer and a question

I am very pleased with my new jointer now that I've cleaned up the surface rust on the tables and gotten the outfeed set correctly. It's a Jet JJ-6CSX that I got at an auction for about $240 with buyers premium and tax, and it even has a new set of spare knives included. I know a 6" jointer is not considered worthwhile by many here, but 98% of the time it's all I want. I'm glad to have the longer tables and movable outfeed, those are big steps up from my old '70s Rockwell.

My question is about a little pin type of thing on the back of the infeed table. It was fitted into a hole and prevented the table moving beyond a quite small range. I wanted it set up for about a 1/32" cut depth for flattening banjo necks, and until I removed this pin I couldn't get the table that high. I have not seen this type of thing on any of the other older jointers I've had, and I'm wondering if there is some reason why it is needed that I don't know about. I have taken it out as shown in the picture and it doesn't seem to have affected anything. I am guessing it may be to prevent someone from moving the infeed table in far enough to interfere with the knives, but if that was it I would think it should have some more range of movement than it does. I'll be grateful for any advice.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Generally, it is there to limit your cut depth to maximum designated for a given machine. It is spring loaded, so when you need to crank past for a special purpose, you simply pull it out and breeze on by. It will also stop you as you crank the infeed back up, simply because it is spring loaded and is a pretty unsophisticated device, as it doesn't discern between the up and down movements.
    I owned one of those machines for a few years, but do not recall it limiting you to 1/32 max cut - typically more like 1/8".
    Ultimately, it is a safety feature, and permanently disabling is not recommended.

Congrats on a screaming deal - it is a good unit. If you plan to stick with that size, as mentioned, a very worthwhile upgrade would be to replace head with a Byrd Shelix. Really, really worth it.
    Last edited by Jeff Roltgen; 07-29-2021 at 8:43 PM.

As Jeff said, it's a depth stop.

From the manual:

"Infeed Table Depth Stop
    Referring to Figure 17:
    The infeed table depth stop (A) limits the depth of
    a cut (set by adjusting the infeed table handwheel)
    to a maximum depth of 1/8”. For normal
    operations, the depth of cut should never exceed
    1/8", except for rabbetting operations.
    If a rabbeting operation is desired:
    1. Lower the infeed table to 1/8", which will cause
    the depth stop limiter to engage.
    2. Loosen the lock handle (B) and pull out on the
    stop handle (C).
    3. Continue lowering the table to the desired
    depth of cut.
    Important: Never override the depth stop limiter
    unless performing rabbeting operations."

If the stop is limiting you to 1/32 or less instead of approximately 1/8, then something else is amiss. On my old delta jointer the stop was adjustable, but I don't see any adjustment on your jet.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Thank you both for your help. The limiter didn't let me go to less than about a 1/16" cut, and that's more than I was wanting to take off in one pass for what I most often do on the jointer. I'll have to look into the area with the three screws where the limiter is mounted to the lower casting, maybe there's a way there to adjust it. I never want to take off more than 1/8" on the jointer and usually not nearly that much, so if the limiter is only to prevent going too deep I don't think I'll need it.

A 6" jointer is perfectly worthy if it meets "your" needs! Everybody's work is different. Enjoy it! That's a decent tool, too. I believe it may be the same model I started out with.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I wonder if you can loosen those 3 cap screws and adjust the position of that arm that holds the pin. That might let you get it back to where it's supposed to be.

Personally, I'd use it without the pin, or the pin pulled out. I set my jointer to something like a 1/64" cut and haven't adjusted it since. Hasn't moved any noticeable amount. If you're set it and forget it at 1/32 for those necks (which seems like a very appropriate depth of cut for the stock size) I don't see a big benefit to it.

Suggest you go to the Jet site and download the respective manual. I too bought the same jointer used and am very happy with it. I now am toying with purchasing a helix head. Best wishes.

Hi Zachary. I have the 8” version of your Jet jointer and I too wondered about that weird do-hicky. The previous owner had broken it off so I took the remaining parts off and never replaced it. Jointer works fine.

Thank you all very much for your input. I didn't know I could get the manual online, but it looks very handy if I ever need it again. According to the manual the thing in question is only supposed to push the pin into the hole when the jointer gets to 1/8" depth of cut, and this is supposed to prevent one from taking a deeper cut by mistake, but it also prevents the table from coming back up, so that seems a bit odd to me. I think I'll leave it detached and put it in a bag for future reference, if it can be found when they future arrives.