Thread: 1950s & 1960s mahogany no blemishes

1950s & 1960s mahogany no blemishes

What would this type of wood be worth today?

I have a line on some.

1950s & 1960s mahogany no blemishes - 5/4x14x49 and narrower.

Thanks.

Meryl, you haven’t given a lot of information, but here goes. I typically pay $11 bf for 5/4 Swietenia Macrophylla (SA Mahogany), your wood is a nice width, but the length is not super desirable, so maybe a bit less per bf.

The Mahogany that I buy has been from a Lumber yard that has a stash of Mahogany that was harvested 50 years ago, so assuming what you are asking about is South American Mahogany, then the fact it’s old is probably a good thing. The reason I say this is the new stock that has been harvested more recently the quality is of a much lower quality.
    Last edited by Robert LaPlaca; 07-23-2021 at 8:26 AM. Reason: I hate typing on an ipad

Blog Entries
    I’d pay more for genuine Cuban Mahogany, which ‘50-60’s era could be. My experience is it’s a little denser. 14” wide the are hard for me to find in current varieties. Pics?

If a board feels like it's heavier than it ought to be, it's probably good stuff.

Some of these are surprisingly heavy. Very dense. I suppose mahogany is dense anyway, but some of these are crazy heavy.

Actually the most commonly available mahoganies are not very dense. If these are dense then they may be the real deal older varieties

Ron