Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Ford Maverick mini truck

New Ford Maverick mini truck

I have pretty much decided to get the new Maverick mini truck, but I will wait until they bring out a plug in hybrid version. One thing that has bothered me is that it is assembled in Mexico, but if that is the only place making one, so be it. Yes I am aware of the Hyundai, but the bed is less usable for me.

What really finalized it was today at Costco. They had two new cars on display at the entrance. The first was a Mercedes sedan, a 300 something for well over 50K. I looked at the sticker and found it was made with a combination of Polish and German parts, and assembled in South Africa.

Next to it was a Volvo Polestar (the electric one) for well over 60K. Now I know Volvo was bought out by a Chinese Company a few years ago, but it still surprised me that it was comprised of mostly Chinese parts and assembled in Belgium. No mention of anything Swedish was on the sticker, which was behind highly tinted glass, and hard to see.

Suddenly Mexico is sounding more acceptable to me.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

As far as I'm concerned far better Mexico than the Far East. It doesn't look like there's a 4 wheel drive version though and 4 1/2 foot bed? I'd still have to rent a real pickup to haul lumber, or have a trailer but no place to keep one.

You're going to find it pretty difficult to find a new vehicle these days that doesn't have Chinese parts in it.

There is an all wheel drive version of the Maverick, but you have to get the optional Ecoboost engine instead of the hybrid.

I was happy to hear that I would have two choices in new mini-pickups soon. I dislike the ongoing trend for pickups to get bigger and bigger each year. Even the new Ford Ranger is too big to fit comfortably in my garage. I fondly remember the days of the old Datsun mini-truck and the Chevy LUV, which were right-sized for homeowners, not working trucks.

I was car-shopping a few years ago, and every Ford I looked at (including the Mustang and Escape) was either made in Mexico or had significant Chinese parts (motor and/or transmission). Assembling cars & trucks in Mexico is how the "US" automakers get to keep referring to their vehicles as "Made in North America". They count on most Americans to not figure out Mexico is in North America. Researching at the time, I found out the vehicles with the mot US parts and assembly, were, in order: Ford F-150, Toyota Tundra, and Honda Ridgeline.

Lets hope the chip shortage gets resolved.
    < insert spurious quote here >

My 2000 Ford ranger much of it was made in Mexico The seats, the dash wiring. The steel wheels came from Brazil. The automatic transmission has been from a French company built in France since the 90's.
    The "new"ranger, actually a ten year old model, is 80-90% the size of a f150.
    Bill D

Hopefully the Maverick truck is a (much) better truck than the Maverick car was a car.
    Same design team as the Pinto, as I recall...that's a bug, not a feature.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

I replaced a front hub on my truck. I got the cheapest, Chinese one first. It lasted a couple of weeks before it started making noise. I returned that one, and upgraded to the Mexican one. No trouble with that one for a couple of years, so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    Hopefully the Maverick truck is a (much) better truck than the Maverick car was a car.
    LOL....I'm laughing because that was my exact reaction when they originally announced the news about this new vehicle. Now my first spouse's grandfather owned a Maverick...with a V8 in it it seems. Nasty vehicle...

That said, this smaller truck could "scratch an itch" in the marketplace as it's been sometime since there were decent offers for small, functional pickup trucks and that was back in the days when an "import" was actually an import. Some of those older ones are still used on the large farms around here, sans license/registration as they are not on the roads at all.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I guess Ford is banking that most of the people that remember the original Maverick are dead.

Was it the Maverick that they put a 427 in? A guy that lives on the lake near us has a Mercury version (edited to add: Comet )of that Maverick that he takes to shows. Seeing a lot of old cars on the road makes me smile. This one just
    Last edited by Tom M King; 07-23-2021 at 4:55 PM.

My understanding is that Ford has changed it's focus: they no longer make cars to serve markets and are prepared to loose money. Instead, the "new" CEO convince the Ford family to forego breadth of markets, and instead look at profits.
    The Maverick was not a good car, but aside from the name would you think its a return to the same vehicle? "Everything old is new again".
    I'd also like to take a real close look at the Maverick if for no reason even my 2004 Mazda B3000 is larger than I need.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Was it the Maverick that they put a 427 in? A guy that lives on the lake near us has a Mercury version (edited to add: Comet )of that Maverick that he takes to shows. Seeing a lot of old cars on the road makes me smile. This one just
    I think so...as I noted above, my first spouse's grandfather had a Maverick with a V8 in it.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    I worked at the Dearborn Ford Rouge plant for 35 years. One of our shop vehicles was a Maverick. We beat the living crap out of the thing.
    Over rail lines throughout the 2,000 acres of the Rouge , and up to 6 men smashed inside, with tools, lunches, parts.
    The suspension was totally destroyed in under 6 months. Fenders and doors all bashed up. It looked like it was parked next door in Detroit.

They bought us an econoline van.

I owned 3 '71 Pintos. Those 2000cm motors were terrific. They're still used for hot rods and such. I had my first one up to 120 going to work on I- 94 one time. It was still pulling but I was getting closer to traffic.

The problem with the Pinto wasn't so much the fuel tank, but after 150k or so miles, the unibody can start breaking off at the firewall. That's the front fenders, frame, engine and steering.
    They were fun to drive.

A 4-door truck with a 4'-6" long bed -at least there's a back seat to put groceries in if it's raining...

I love my Fords, but they're now 0 for 2 in the Maverick department
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    A 4-door truck with a 4'-6" long bed -at least there's a back seat to put groceries in if it's raining...

I love my Fords, but they're now 0 for 2 in the Maverick department
    The short bed pick up truck is the new family car. The Ford F series leads in sales.

To me it is crazy to have a bed that can't hold a 2X4, sofa or a washer and dryer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)