Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New Ford Maverick mini truck

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    I think he is saying he was in very good shape and it saved his life and not the first time ive heard that before. So used to seat belts not sure I could drive without one. Truck is old so only has a lap belt.

Someone above said they put 16 footers in their pick up. How do you do that. Ive put 14-16 foot mahogany in the wally wagon and it works well just take the passenger seat out. The pickup would not be legal as the only way you could do it that I see is putting it in the sliding window which ive done once and told it was illegal, more so even if it was done it would extend way past the top of the tailgate.
    There is a Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration which is mostly about commercial vehicles.

What is legal or not concerning vehicles is mostly regulated individually in each state. There are a few states where tarping a load isn't required. Some states are more aggressive in enforcing this. Fines for noncompliance may vary from nothing to very expensive.

Again the FMCSA has regulations for commercial carriers.

How much a load can extend out the back of a vehicle or beyond the front or sides for noncommercial vehicles is another vehicle coade regulated state by state > https://motorandwheels.com/truck-sti...aws-per-state/

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Warren, it is easy to haul 16' 2X4's in my truck, and it is not a crew cab, or an 8' bed. As I said, my current truck is an extended cab, short bed (6'8") 2005 F250.

The slider window is 14" wide, and 16" tall. I put a rag or hunk of carpet on the bottom edge of the slider to avoid damage, and slide the 16 footers in from the back, centering them on the dash board, which also has a dash cover for protection. There is 6' from center of dash to window, 6'8" from window to raised tailgate, which leaves me 3 1/2' hanging over the tailgate. If you count the 6" bumper depth, the load is actually hanging out 3' which just happens to be how far CA law allows, without flags. I flag it anyway, no big deal.

The main concern is to keep the lumber from contacting the windshield, which is why I stop several inches away and tighten the load securely. I also only have a couple miles to go, so it is no problem. Theoretically, I could carry 24 16 footers this way, three wide X eight high, but I am just a do it yourselfer, and never had the need. I only carried 9 at a time for my use building stuff at home.

I also carried 16' 2X6's the same way a couple times.

The Maverick offers a small window but it is differently made. I guess it will be ok to carry 10' lengths of PVC pipe though.

Like I said. Different stages of life, geographic locations, and needs. It fits mine. I would bet money they will sell 100,000 of them in the first full year (2022). There is already an online Maverick Truck Club.

PS: About gas mileage. My 1971 F250 (390 engine) got 9 MPG. Empty, loaded with 2 tons of gravel, carrying 11' camper, carrying the camper and pulling an International Scout, IT NEVER CHANGED.....9MPG. That's consistency.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 07-25-2021 at 3:08 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

thats how I did that as well, resting on top of the window frame and up to the dash. The wally it was all inside with maybe four feet hanging out with a red flag.

I dont have good tie downs on the truck. It had rails on it when I got it looks cleaner without them. 400 Small block 411 rear best ever 18 MPG and that is hard to do. More often towards 15-16 but its RPM dependent. I do sideroads at my own speed usually no traffic. at 1,800 RPM gas mileage is better. Could be at 1,100 RPM and still have enough torque. 2,200 RPM its sounding really nice but wasting gas at that point. Will get better when a 700R goes in with a 30 percent overdrive. Best on the wally was 27 MPG, 256 rear on that one. Our gallons are larger than US. Still thats good for a car that weighs the same as the pickup but then it is a car on a pickup truck frame.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-25-2021 at 3:30 PM.

A large percentage of the folks buying small trucks or even full size with crew cab and short beds are not generally hauling long stuff. When they do throw something in the back, it's stuff like bags of mulch, etc.,...typical homeowner hauling. The 2000 Tundra I owned had the shorter bed...they were smaller back then, too, and that was with the extended cab with "suicide doors" so tiny people could use the proverbial back seat. I had a hitch receiver mounted bed extender that allowed for hauling longer things safely and always with flags. When I got rid of the truck after we adopted our daughters and bought an SUV, I acquired the 5x8 utility trailer I still use. I can put 16' material on the centerline and only have about 4' handing off the end while having no issues turning tightly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

have a 16 foot car trailer. It took care of stuff when needed. Brought my truck home on it which was probably not ideal.

Now I'm confused. They brought the Ranger back to compete with the Chevy Colorado, Nissan Frontier, etc. Where does the Maverick fit in?

So, Ford went from one consumer pickup model (F150) to three in the course of a few years??

I'm going to hold out for the four door Maverick station wagon
    Vortex! What Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    Now I'm confused. They brought the Ranger back to compete with the Chevy Colorado, Nissan Frontier, etc. Where does the Maverick fit in?

So, Ford went from one consumer pickup model (F150) to three in the course of a few years??
    They feel there is enough demand for a compact pick-em-up truck and also believe it's an opportunity to embrace electrification at a much lower price point at the same time. It could be a good international offer, too, because in many geographies even the Ranger/Colorado sized trucks are pushing the limits with size. It will be interesting to see if they go that way, too.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

this is all well and good, but um...has anyone tried to buy a vehicle recently? Lots are empty. No one can quote a build date or delivery date. We just bought a new SUV, and we ordered one to our spec in March. Still hasn't even been picked up for build yet. No build date. Since. MARCH. I called 15 dealers within 50 miles of my home. I located three vehicles that we could live with. None matched what we ordered, but they were close enough to live with. The lease on the old vehicle was ending (and the dealers are drooling over the resale on that, the miles are ultra low thanks to COVID work at home). The three dealers basically quoted prices that kicked my teeth in. There's no dealing. Only factory 'incentives' that are just paltry. The dealers are making out like bandits. We eventually came to a deal we could swallow and pulled the trigger. Upon pickup, there were exactly three new vehicles on the lot. Three.

I'll believe they can build the Maverick when I see it. I'll believe they can build the electric F-150 when I see it. Why bother taking orders if you cannot fulfill them? I get it, it is not the manufacturers fault, but the dealers are the ones making out like bandits here. Didn't Chevy just halt production again?

There is no cause for excitement for new vehicles when we cannot get a new vehicle.

sounds like woodwork machinery

That, along with waiting for the plug in, is why mine will be a 2023 probably.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Pratt View Post
    I guess Ford is banking that most of the people that remember the original Maverick are dead.
    My mom had a Mustang when we were kids. She got rear-ended and that car was totaled. She then bought a Pinto (which was always in the shop). Imagine what would have happened if we got rear-ended in that thing.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

There are a number of people who have commented that the bed is not big enough. Isn't that kind of the point of this pickup is that it has a small bed? I read complaints every day about 1/2 ton pickups and even the Ranger/Colorado being too big. This is Ford's answer to those complaints. Ford has three other lines of pickups if you need a larger bed.

Ford has certainly done their market research and has determined the vast majority of buyers are fine with a crew cab. A lot of regular cab pickups are sold to tradespeople. How many tradespeople would find a Maverick to have enough weight capacity if there was a regular cab and a longer bed?

Hi Brian,

I just happened to watch a Maverick YouTube video last night that explained why it probably will not have a longer bed with a Super cab or regular cab.

Since it is a unibody, and the bed is attached to the body, it would have to be braced a lot more to be longer and carry the heavier loads people would expect to carry with the larger bed. See the original edition of the Honda Ridgeline with the massive 'sails' bracing the bed as an example. Chevy Avalanche is another example with the corner braces.

I remember the 1961 Ford F100 pickups had the bed attached to the body. By '62 they changed it because of cracks in the bodywork from heavy loads.

I can admit I have carried double what various trucks were rated...regularly. Ford is avoiding that problem from the start. Can't blame them. As was said above, if you don't like the short bed, they make bigger trucks.

Honestly, the one I don't understand, is why they don't make the smaller Transit Van into a single cab pickup with an 8' bed. That would be easy to do, and just right for tradesmen. Remember the Econoline pickup? The bed was over 8'.
    Last edited by Rick Potter; 07-26-2021 at 2:33 PM.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by William Chain View Post
    [edited]
    Didn't Chevy just halt production again?

There is no cause for excitement for new vehicles when we cannot get a new vehicle.
    General Motors will stop making most of its full-size pickup trucks for a week starting Monday. It’s another sign that the auto industry continues to struggle with the year-long global computer chip shortage.

Large pickups and SUVs are automakers’ best-selling and most profitable vehicles. GM and other automakers have tried to keep making them, shifting their supply of available chips away from less popular vehicles.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/07/22/busin...age/index.html

My luck must be pretty good. My new truck wasn't an order. It isn't exactly what was wanted but it does have all the important desires: 4WD, one ton capacity, crew cab and an eight foot bed.

While shopping at Lowe's the other day a person was drooling over it in the parking lot and told me it could probably be sold for more than what was paid for it due to the manufacturing problems with the supply chain.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)