Thread: Air conditioner drain line flushing time

Air conditioner drain line flushing time

FYI: Had a puddle of water under the home ac unit in a closet. They have two drain ports the lower one is piped the slightly higher emergency one just dumps on the floor then into the crawlspace. Somehow the piped drain line was not taking all the condensate. There were rust stains around the emergency drain port when we bought the house.
    They had duct taped the vent tee for the drain which may have been an issue. Two 90 degrees bends so no easy way to snake it out. Today wife poured one gallon of water into the drain vent and I watched it come out the drain pipe outside the foundation. It had rust and some bits of crud. Maybe dead bugs?
    I will replumb using tees, flex pvc conduit and plugs instead of elbows so it can be cleaned.
    Bil lD.

It is coming up on time to clean the drain tubes on the car sunroof

Sounds like a good plan. I usually flush the line with a quart or so of vinegar, it seems to help keep deposits from lining the drain. I plug the end, pour in the vinegar and let is sit for a while before removing the plug and letting it drain out. Once deposits start to build up, it makes it easier for "stuff" to clog the line.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

There should not be any calcium deposits since it is distilled water. Seems like bleach would be more effective to remove critters. But your method works.
    For some reason they installed an elbow and drop tube outside rather then have it dip down and stick out a few inches. Making it impossible to see or snake out.
    Bill D

a vacuum works good IF you can get the hose on the outside line
    do this at work all the time
    Ron

Check to see if the elbow and drop tube are cemented. Mine (PVC) has a similar set up but the elbow is just friction fit and comes off easily.

To blow it out pick up a Gallo Gun. It has a rubber come on the end that goes against the inlet and a hose to a CO2 cartridge. They work well, if you can get them into position. Plug the vent tee first of course

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    a vacuum works good IF you can get the hose on the outside line
    do this at work all the time
    Ron
    That’s what fixes mine.