Thread: Installing plastic window shutters?! Anyone done this?

Installing plastic window shutters?! Anyone done this?

We have 3 sets of plastic window shutters. My wife thinks they should be green rather than the existing maroon ones. Both the new and old are attached to the vinyl siding with plastic plugs.
    The instructions say to cut them off below the shutter, rather then trying to pull them out. Would it be gentler to the siding to cut them above the old shutters rather then below? If I have to cut them off at the bottom, it would seem safer to do that after the shutters are off.
    I would like to reuse the old holes, rather than making new holes. If I cut them off, can I either drill the old plugs out, or maybe push them all the way in?

Blog Entries
    I have similar shutters on my house and it is very difficult to pull out those pins without damaging the siding. If I were to remove our shutters which may happen soon due to fading, I would drill out or cut the pins from the outside of the shutter rather than damage the shutter or the siding.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

I cut the head off with a pair of dykes, removed the shutter, cut the pin flush and pushed it in the hole
    Then the HOA sent me a letter and told me we could not change color without their permission and there was a charge to tour their design studio to find out what colors were acceptable. So got some spray paint and repaint back to original color right on the house
    good luck
    Ron

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    I cut the head off with a pair of dykes, removed the shutter, cut the pin flush and pushed it in the hole
    Then the HOA sent me a letter and told me we could not change color without their permission and there was a charge to tour their design studio to find out what colors were acceptable. So got some spray paint and repaint back to original color right on the house
    good luck
    Ron
    Paint then in place, using Krylon or other plastic bonding paint. Just be sure to mask off surrounding siding VERY WELL!

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Selzer View Post
    good luck
    Ron
    That is how I will do it. The new ones are a half inch wider than the old ones, but hopefully that will be okay.
    I doubt my wife will go for painting the old ones; not expensive enough.

I removed painted and reinstalled 28 shutters .I used exterior paint on vinyl shutters from blue borg .I pressure washed them first and painted the plastic plugs ,buy paintable plugs. If they are only 1/2 wider there should be enough room to drill holes in shutters to match existing holes in house. The plugs got cut off using a sharp painters tool and pulled out

Blog Entries
    In Texas, we can make the shutters any color we want. At our house they are what swmbo said they would be.

Blog Entries
    I just had 10 shutters painted, The painter masked carefully around the shutters and they came out great. I had originally wanted him to remove them but he was concerned that removing them might damage the vinyl siding. He convinced me to leave them in place and as I said they came out great.
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    In Texas, we can make the shutters any color we want.
    They have HOAs in Texas too, and my parents ran afoul of them any number of times.
    And they are just as petty/picky/anal/power-mad as they are everywhere else.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Our HOA demands "no fences". Other than that we are quite forgiving.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    Our HOA demands "no fences". Other than that we are quite forgiving.
    Sounds like a great neighborhood for “free range” chickens ! But you better read over the rules first.

We have 4 sets of plastic shutters on our home. I have removed and painted them each time I paint the house. I have had no issues but our home is sided in cedar lap siding. That being said, I use the same mounting holes each time. It's not that difficult.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....