Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BOSCH 12v drill and driver

BOSCH 12v drill and driver

Colleagues: My battery-operated drill and screw driver are getting old and tired.

Does anyone here have experience with the BOSCH 12V max Chameleon Drill/Driver with 5-in-1 Flexiclick System and batteries?

See: https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...cb22-202156-p/

And/or: BOSCH 12V max 3/8 Inch Right Angle Drill Kit?
    See: https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...1-102-38743-p/

Thanks for any help.

I have the flexiclick set and the matching impact driver and love it. They get used for 90% of my woodworking related tasks; I only pull out my 20 volt stuff for bigger, mostly construction type tasks. The right angle head is great for most tight spaces (although the little dewalt right angle adapter can get in tighter places. The offset head is also really handy for tight spaces. They are small and light but have plenty of power for most woodworking jobs. My only nit pick is that I wish the bosch collet allowed you to just push the bit in without having to pull the sleeve on the collet. My bigger dewalt drill and driver have that feature.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Does anyone here have experience with the BOSCH 12V max Chameleon Drill/Driver with 5-in-1 Flexiclick System and batteries?
    I have one, along with the hex drill/driver, conventional drill with chuck, impact driver, and hacksaw. I have had these for many years, and really like the form factor & performance. My original batteries were getting a little long in the tooth, so I have picked up a couple of new ones over the years, which have greater amp-hour ratings, and last much longer.

I like these tools a lot, and have no complaints. For what I use them for, the 12v battery (actually 10.something, but they round up ) is plenty. For super-aggressive hole drilling, I have several corded models, but rarely use them.

BUT, if you are buying into a new battery system (once you have one or two tools that use the same batteries, you tend to stick with that battery style), you may look at some other brands, and see if any of their other tools fit your needs. Milwaukee in particular has a cordless version of nearly every tool known to mankind, and usually gets rave reviews.

For me, the Bosch tools do exactly what I need, and the sunk cost means I'm not changing brands any time soon...

I’ve had both of them for many years.

There’s a new flexclic version that is brushless (EC) and I’d suggest getting that one instead.

There’s really no reason to get the right angle drill if you buy the flexiclic - it has a right angle chuck included. With a 6.0 Ah battery - the 5 in 1 is hard to beat.

I haven't used the Bosch version, but I can speak to the Milwaukee tools which are great quality. In particular, you might like the M12 installer tool shown here:

https://www.amazon.com/Milwaukee-250...s%2C216&sr=8-2

I also have a bunch of M18 tools (FUEL drill, FUEL impact driver, chainsaw, sawzall, grinder, and cordless trim router (which has great dust collection). Everything I have used has been pretty good. The FUEL versions are excellent upgrades in most cases.

I tried the cordless ROS and it ate batteries like crazy so I sold it. There are also several M12 and M18 jigsaws available.

There are also several M12 and M18 jigsaws available.
    Bosch has one too, and it is light years ahead of the milwaukee. The milwaukee installer tool is a nice bet of gear but the the forward / reversing switch is a deal breaker for many guys. The 12v lineup from bosch may not be a broad as milwaukee , but most of the tools that are common are superior. When you get to 18v bosch is a real turkey though.

Haha yes that button is awful.

I have the standard 12 v drill and driver which I love. I also have the right angle one you linked to but only use it when needed. If you go with the Bosch 12V system you should really get this light. It is my favorite light.
    https://www.boschtools.com/us/en/bos...fl12-121246-p/

I haven’t tried the Flexclic but I have a 12 volt Max drill, impact driver and sawsall. I have used the drill and impact driver in the shop for seven years including putting down a deck. Great tools and lighter than the higher voltage stuff.
    Charlie Jones

The Flexiclick attachment system is very similar to the Festool setup for alternative tool holding and MAJOR handy to have. You will enjoy the flexibility it brings to your work. I cannot tell you just how often having those alternative options has saved time or even made something possible that would have been "not happening" with a straight old D/D arrangement. I also like having the lighter-weight tools for general shop work...again, I use Festool CSX, but smaller, lighter yet still powerful is a great way to get work done and not make your hand and arm tired from hanging onto a heaver, 18-20v tool when that level of power isn't needed. I honestly use the smaller setup for most home improvement work, too. That Bosch is worthy in that respect, too.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-22-2021 at 5:07 PM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

My shop has a number of the Bosch 12v battery tools; I am very happy with them. The only issue with the Flexiclick is the head comes off too easily if I am not very careful changing drill or driver bits. I wish the lock was more positive. Otherwise, it is a very handy tool.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Okonieski View Post
    My shop has a number of the Bosch 12v battery tools; I am very happy with them. The only issue with the Flexiclick is the head comes off too easily if I am not very careful changing drill or driver bits. I wish the lock was more positive. Otherwise, it is a very handy tool.

Yes , this can happen with the jacobs drill chuck if you cycle the trigger while holding the chuck.

Which is something most of us do , but I suspect is totally absurd to a German tool engineer/designer.

I've got a Bosch 12v Drill and Driver combo. I've been pretty happy with them. I've had some minor annoyances from the drill chuck not getting tight enough.

I've also got the Flexiclick, expecting that it would be more useful than it has been. Every time I think I've got a use for it, I find it doesn't quit fit into the space. Instead I usually find myself using a DeWalt right angle attachment. It's smaller, fits into smaller areas, and has a magnetic bit/screw holder.

I'll second the Bosch 12v light being great. It's a perfect size, runs forever, very bright, and has a very nice magnetic base.

I'm also surprised nobody has said anything about the 12v trim router. It's a unique design which avoids a lot of the top heavy design problems of more conventional trim routers.

Gents: thanks for the information. Now to find a tool emporium that has one that I can handle. Again, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Newman View Post
    Gents: thanks for the information. Now to find a tool emporium that has one that I can handle. Again, thanks.
    Try to find a place that caters to contractors. The Bosch and Milwaukee 12v s are popular for installation work because of their small size and light weight.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...