Thread: "Need VFD advice for lathe"

"Need VFD advice for lathe"

I have another post that I had picked up a bowl turning lathe at a auction which turned out to be 3 phase. It has a 3/4 motor in it so I was given advice to get a VFD for it. They thought the 3/4 may be on the small side so I thought about getting a 2 hp with a VFD. Where can you get a package deal for both the VFD and motor? One last question could I get a VFD for the 3/4 hp motor then if it is to small for the bowl turning I want to do could I just get a 2 HP and use the same VFD?

Thanks,
    Larry

I would get a vfd with a 2-3HP rating... I think (just my opinion) that 3/4 hp will be more than adequate for bowl turning...
    You will really like having the variable speed using the vfd... slow to rough it in, then speed it up as needed...
    Happy Turning...

When I was upgrading my old lathe I remember seeing package deals on line. I don't remember the company but there are many out there. I bought a 2HP VFD from Automation Direct and 2 smaller ones from MRO Supply . I have run several different HP motors with the 2HP unit. There are settings that match the motor specs so you don't burn up a small motor. I would get a 2HP VFD and run the current motor with it. Then do a search for a good used motor. If that fails then get a new one or be happy with 3/4 HP. Note that used motors need to be VFD compatible to handle the load at low speed. New motors are compatible.

I have 5 VFD's on various machines and have no trouble with them. They are all very similar and there are many on line how to videos.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Aumiller View Post
    I would get a vfd with a 2-3HP rating... I think (just my opinion) that 3/4 hp will be more than adequate for bowl turning...
    You will really like having the variable speed using the vfd... slow to rough it in, then speed it up as needed...
    Happy Turning...
    If you recall, this bowl lathe has an 18" swing. It'll take a couple of days to turn an 18" bowl with a 3/4hp motor. I often stall my 2hp Oneway when I'm trying to make money.

i bought this VFD 3-4 years ago and put it on my 8" powermatic jointer that had a 3-phase 3hp motor. It has worked flawlessly.

I don't think you can put a 2-3 hp VFD on a 3/4 hp motor, you have to buy the VFD sized for the motor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if the link doesnt work, search this on amazon: LAPOND SVD-ES Single Phase VFD Drive VFD Inverter Professional Variable Frequency Drive 2.2KW 3HP 220V 10A for Spindle Motor Speed

Most vfds have current settings that can be changed to match the motor current requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by Chance Raser View Post
    i bought this VFD 3-4 years ago and put it on my 8" powermatic jointer that had a 3-phase 3hp motor. It has worked flawlessly.

I don't think you can put a 2-3 hp VFD on a 3/4 hp motor, you have to buy the VFD sized for the motor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

if the link doesnt work, search this on amazon: LAPOND SVD-ES Single Phase VFD Drive VFD Inverter Professional Variable Frequency Drive 2.2KW 3HP 220V 10A for Spindle Motor Speed
    Thanks for the info I will check it out.