Thread: small curved tray

small curved tray

This small tray of Douglas fir is about 14” x 3” x 5” with wenge bases.Multi use.....The fir came from an old 1800s house that my brother used to own.Very likely first growth fir. It had a unique smell to it when cutting that suggested age to my senses...After using some of it for a wall display grid,some of the cuttings talked me into creating this little tray. Wipe on poly finish, rubbed with Micro Mesh then waxed with Renaissance.

IMG_4370.jpgIMG_4368.jpgIMG_4369.jpg

Love it! Great design, execution and combination of woods. How did you go about creating the curved shape?

Beautiful. I like the color of the fir very unique
    Aj

Love it Kent. Simple and elegant. Also curious how you made the curve d piece.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I like it!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Ted and Bill,

The curved douglas fir section is built like a sailboat mast with multiple staves, each with a slight bevel. You can see the staves in the upside down photo as the grain differs for some of the pieces.
    I built a cradle type of jig to glue the individual pieces together and once formed I used the cradle with a dado blade on my table saw to cross cut through the curved section to allow the wenge base to protrude through. The fir had support from the cradle at its underside and I cut sacrificial curved pieces for the inside of the curve as well so when I cut through, the fir had support inside and out thus minimizing tear out.

I tried to find photos of the build but was unsuccessful. Anyone that is interested and has patience can seen the cradle and a few built shots on my Instagram account. Sorry but its about 70 posts down.....kpwoodenstone on Instagram. I tend to post there more than here....

Cheers
    Last edited by Kent Parker; 07-21-2021 at 9:21 PM.

Well done. A nice study in coopering and combining woods.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

That's a beautiful piece. I love the creative design and contrasting wood. Just terrific.
    A wannabe woodworker!

Practical with great lines and contrast. Thanks for sharing!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

A fun refreshing piece, and useful. Good to make something in a non-western style.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!