Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Festool Assorted Domino Tenons and Cutters in T-Loc Systainer: Is it worth $345?

This is pretty far down the rabbit hole, but I have seen a few folks that make their own Domino tenon stock and (already) have Williams and Hussey molders get knives made specifically for cutting the relief grooves that dominos have for glue spread.
    Still waters run deep.

I bought the systainer set originally (using the amazon.de site and the cost was $185 +shipping) and now just replenish as needed with the off brand precut tenon stock from Amazon - the name of the company who sells them is "TAYTOOL". I think the only size they dont have for the DF500 is the smallest ones. I have not had any issues with fit of the off brand - but of course they do not say "Festool" on them....

By the time I replaced my 12mm Festool cutter with an Amana I was out of the 12mm dominos I got from the original owner when I bought it. So I've never put a Festool domino into a mortise made by a CMT or Amana bit. But I measured the festool and it's replacement and there is no difference. I also measured all my other "off brand" cutters and they are the diameter they are supposed to be. I also use the same home made tenons in mortises made by Festool (originally) and "off-brand" cutters with the same fit from my perspective. I think the different size mortise from CMT and Amana bits is a myth. If you don't hold the domino right you can get a larger mortise but that is not the bits fault.

I ruined the Festool 12 mm bit hitting drywall screws with it repeatedly. It did not shatter but the edges got nicked and it doesn't want to plunge. I had a 14mm CMT bit shatter just from cutting wood but it was replaced under warranty and the replacement did not do that. But a normal relatively soft nail did at least as much damage to the second CMT bit as the drywall screw did to the Festool. But I haven't messed up and hit any metal with my other bits and they are all working fine.

I think the Festool bits are a little tougher, less brittle, than at least the CMT bits. But my CMT 5mm, 6mm, 8mm, and 10mm cutters work fine. Me hitting metal is not the bits fault. I do not believe there is any difference in the mortises made by any of these bits. CMT and Amana are certainly talented enough at making bits to make them the right diameter.

.why do I need to pay for one I already have?
    Because you might break in or wear it out. Even if you don't there's little downside to having an extra since used festool prices usually outplace inflation.

It becomes really overpriced when you consider / there are much cheaper options than
    This is pretty silly when you consider the cost of a Domino is over a thousand dollars to start with. Why even buy it in the first place if all you want is a cheaper alternative ?

The loophole may be closed now, but several years ago, a member here pointed out that Amazon De(the German site) had the DF500 systainer , cutters and domino assortment for far less even with shipping. IIRC I think I paid about $175 and delivery was surprisingly fast from Germany.
    This avenue has been closed for a good while now thanks to people publicly disclosing the process. Festool closed it down after it was flaunted in their face. When Brexit passed the deals on the UK site were outta sight because the sellers didn't catch up with the rapid currency flux fora while. If you're lucky enough to find another conduit, keep your helpfulness and boasting to private conversations please. Be sure you get a NDA too.

So why is no one selling off brand loose tenon stock? There has to be money in it.
    They are - but the economics just aren't what you imagine. Especially if you value your time realistically or have to pay someone a decent wage or pay the bank for an automated machine that doesn't care if you're a slave driver.

https://www.amazon.com/Taytools-Beechwood-Tenons-Festool-Domino/dp/B0785YBP2G/ref=asc_df_B0785YBP2G/?tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=df0&hvadid=241955516116&hvpos=&hvnetw= g&hvrand=623197962220716139&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt= &hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9010943&hvta rgid=pla-449808046509&psc=1

Plus, they really aren't that much cheaper than the name brand ones.

You can order the bundle from ( TF%&^$&()&)) in Germany for less, even after paying for shipping. I'm ordering that and a new diamond blade for my saw for much less than buying them domestically.
    you may consider redacting this if you'd like to continue using them. Strictly speaking , they aren't allowed to ship that stuff to the USA.

Some abrasive paper to "shave" the slight ridge on the side of the Domino to make it a hair looser is a nice thing.
    a block plane makes for an elegant solution too :
    https://www.lie-nielsen.com/products...anes&node=4072
    Last edited by Dave Sabo; 07-22-2021 at 3:10 PM.

My time is much more valuable than money, so I bought the assortment. But if I was retired I would be tempted to make my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Mayer View Post
    My time is much more valuable than money, so I bought the assortment. But if I was retired I would be tempted to make my own.
    At that point, time is arguably more valuable because you have less time left.

The catch is , you probably have less money too.

Well I sure am glad we all have been enlightened and corrected. I think I'll go sit in a corner now.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Grider View Post
    Well I sure am glad we all have been enlightened and corrected. I think I'll go sit in a corner now.
    At least you can play with your Domino

God has blessed and I am easily able to buy festool cutters and pre made dominos. If I did woodworking for a living I might. I also like using wider more normal tenons, however, when that is what the design calls for. Multiple pre-made little ones is, no doubt, a viable alternative but I like wider ones. It is very easy to make multiple plunges with the domino to create the mortise. I also want to make the length "right" for the workpiece but the long stock can solve that. I will never put little grooves on my tenons, however. I'm not saying they are a bad idea, they probably help hold some glue, but I am confident they are not necessary. Traditional mortise and tenon joints don't have them and have worked for hundreds of years.

In short, I do what I do because it's what I want to do, not because I can't afford the cost of other options. If it makes sense to you to do something different that's fine by me. It doesn't mean your choices are better for me, however.

Quote Originally Posted by scott vroom View Post
    The retail cost of the individual tenons and cutters is $309.88 based on Hartville Hardware prices. I'm not including the 5mm cutter that comes standard with the DF500...why do I need to pay for one I already have?

They sell the components bundled in a systainer for $345. What it amounts to is they're charging you $35.12 for the plastic Systainer box. If you don't care about the bulky box then you're better off ordering the contents individually from Hartville with free shipping.
    That’s a pretty good price for a dedicated Systainer.

It is very easy to make multiple plunges with the domino to create the mortise.
    Yup. But there's not a real good way to control how much width you add. There are ways, but not good ones. And there are cheaper options for making wider mortices like a router or a benchtop morticer.

Then there's this:
    I also want to make the length "right" for the workpiece but the long stock can solve that
    Yea , and ???????

This is one of the biggest drawbacks of domino IMO - depth of cut is more limited than other means. So making xtra long stock is still limited to the domino's plunge.

The biggest advantage to the whole system is it's quickness, accuracy, and repeatability. Which are facilitated by standardizing (limiting) the offerings. If that doesn't work for you in it's entirety , fine. You can use your tool any way you see fit. My take is you're giving up many of the advantages of buying the expensive tool in the first place. My experience has also been that people who say they can afford anything yet mention outa the gate something is expensive or can be had cheaper - really aren't being frank.

Nothing wrong with how you want to spend your money either.

There are certainly applications where the size and/or mortise depth from Domino/Domino XL are not ideal. It's up to the craftsperson to make that determination and use a method that's best for the particular jointery. That said, I cannot think of anything that I've personally constructed in the past few years since owning the Domino XL that were not well served by the size and depth I used for the project(s). If I felt from a design and strength standpoint that something stouter was required, I would have used it. The only real risk with any of these joining methods is expecting them to be universally adequate. Reality tells us otherwise.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...