Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with cherry table top

Mark, the difference in color appears to me to be from sapwood/heartwood contrast. Any other difference won't IMHO be noticed.

Now, whether you LIKE the difference is another story. I do agree with John that the skunk stripe in the middle looks amateurish - but not because contrast is bad - because it's not tastefully placed or made to look natural.

I think you should repost your pictures with a splash of ethanol or mineral spirits on it so we can see what the contrast will look like.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Mark, the difference in color appears to me to be from sapwood/heartwood contrast. Any other difference won't IMHO be noticed.

Now, whether you LIKE the difference is another story. I do agree with John that the skunk stripe in the middle looks amateurish - but not because contrast is bad - because it's not tastefully placed or made to look natural.

I think you should repost your pictures with a splash of ethanol or mineral spirits on it so we can see what the contrast will look like.

Thanks for your advice Prashun. I splashed the top with mineral spirits. The top is all heartwood. There is still a small glue line along one of the joints which will be removed.

Mineral table top.jpg

Imho it looks fine.