Thread: SDS hammer/drills - what does the spec "1 inch" mean?

SDS hammer/drills - what does the spec "1 inch" mean?

Models of the Bosch Bulldog SDS hammer are advertised as "1 inch" or " 1 1/8 inch". What do those dimensions refer to?
    -obviously not to the diameter of the bit shaft since the following examples both take "SDS plus" bits.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-Bulld...Hammer/1082989
    The Bosch 11255VSR 1 In. SDS-plus® Bulldog™ Xtreme Rotary Hammer is a versatile, handy tool
    https://www.lowes.com/pd/Bosch-Bulld...mer/1000163219
    The Bosch GBH2-28L SDS-plus® Bulldog™ Xtreme Max 1-1/8 In. Rotary Hammer features a powerful 8.5 Amp motor and KickBack Control.

I always understood that to be the max size solid bit you should use with that drill. They are rated for larger hollow bits
    Ron

It refers to the maximum hole size the tool can drill in concrete.

Edit - Ron said it more clearly. The maximum solid bit you should solid use - not can use. You can use a 1 1/8" solid bit in a 1" SDS, it will just shorten the life of the tool.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 07-21-2021 at 7:09 AM.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

Blog Entries
    Yes, it refers to the largest bit that should be used in concrete. But it's just a rough guide because there are so many variables with hardness, type of aggregate, etc. I have Milwaukee's smallest M18 rotary hammer & it drills 1-1/8" holes in block like it's butter, not so much in hard concrete.

FYI My Hilti SDS+ is rated, in old concrete?, with a 1/2" bit at 18" per minute. I know a bigger bit will slow the rate of penetration.
    Bill D

I picked up a GBH2-28L earlier this year after a neighbor knocked down my stone mailbox. Love the thing. After years of wearing holes in concrete or stone with a regular drill (always felt like it took years to bore a hole ). A rotary hammer is awesome for concrete holes. And it was fun using the chisel to remove the stone mailbox residue. I went with the slightly more expensive one for the vibration control.

John