Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Toilet Seal Leak

As Barry said, why are you fixing what the plumber did wrong?

And grout should dry in a few hours by evaporation. Not sure why this an issue. Just the other day I had my kids toilet off because it was rocking. Turns out the plastic better than wax seal was slightly crimped when installed and let water out which rotted the subfloor, and the toilet flange screws pulled out. Make sure the seal is installed properly when you put the toilet back on.

Thinking about it a modern low flow toilet should never leak if the drain line is built correctly. There should be enough vertical drop to handle all the liquid and solids in one flush with the seal only getting a little splash back.
    Bill D

I would use a hair drier or a heat gun on a low setting to dry the grout line. It's the air flow, not the heat so much.
    Did you pay the plumber by credit card? Sometimes a "dispute" will get them back faster than endless phone calls.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

ive never had wax fail but looked at the fluid master you tube and that looks sensible. One thing I didnt see in a fast watch of the you tube was mention of the flange height relating to manufacturer. The last two toilets I put in manufacturers called for different flange heights. I think I flipped both of those toilets and put a straight edge across to measure and see what I was working with plus whatever is added from leveling with shims.

The you tube said one thing that plunging a toilet can blow the wax out, I can see the logic in that sort of then not really at the same time, there is a plastic part in the wax ring that extends into the floor flange not sure how much pressure plunging could actually get back to the wax ring.

One of the few things that has improved in the past few years, is toilet bolts. When I was building new houses, a long time ago, I made my own out of stainless steel bolts that came up from under the subfloor. Now, you can buy nice stainless steel ones in the box stores, even. Just don't get carried away with how much you crank on them. The brass coated steel ones (often sold as "brass") aren't worth using for anything.

I like the screw on bolt caps too, better than the snap on ones.

I put in a toilet riser (raises total height of even a tall toilet) for my 105 year old Mother. I bought two of the new foamies for the install, but they were too thick, and kept both pieces from sealing down tight to the floor, and each other. Fortunately, I had plenty of wax seals accumulated over the years.