Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toilet Seal Leak

Toilet Seal Leak

Had a plumber install a new wax seal on a toilet. The seal did not seal. Had a small leak, just enough to get some tile grout lines wet. Want to dry the grout lines before reinstalling the toilet correctly. Toilet flange is below the floor and should have had a spacer installed to raise the flange.

Question is how to dry the grout lines before reinstalling the toilet. I want them dry so I can tell if it leaks after installing the proper spacer to raise the flange and a new wax ring. I am thinking to take out the wet grout and dry the cement board thru the grout line with a heat gun then re grout.

Thoughts / suggestions.
    Last edited by George Bokros; 07-20-2021 at 11:16 AM.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Quote Originally Posted by George Bokros View Post
    Had a plumber install a new wax seal on a toilet. The seal did nto seal. Had a small leak, just enough to get some tile grout lines wet. Want to dry the grout lines before reinstalling the toilet correctly. Toilet flange is below the floor and should have had a spacer installed to raise the flange.

Question is how to dry the grout lines before reinstalling the toilet. I want them dry so I can tell if it leaks after installing the proper spacer to raise the flange and a new wax ring. I am thinking to take out the wet grout and dry the cement board thru the grout line with a heat gun then re grout.

Thoughts / suggestions.
    First make sure leak is actually at the wax ring. Check both tank bolts, then after flushing toilet, run hand down back of trap on toilet bowl. FIL had a new toilet installed, which leaked. Replaced both tank bolts and wax ring, and still had leaks. Finally ran hand down back of toilet bowl at siphon, and it was wet, meaning there was a small crack. So small you couldn't see it, but water could find it. Some food dye in the bowl could help find this type of leak. As for drying out, time is your friend. FYI, a sheet of newspaper laid under tank on toilet will show any leaks. Because tile is wet, it will need to be elevated from tile. P-1 plumbing licensee in working years

Toilet flange is below the floor and should have had a spacer installed to raise the flange.
    Absolutely.
    Either that or a Fluidmaster Better Than Wax.<--all my plumber ever uses anymore.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...

+1 on the new non wax seals. They stay flexible and can allow the toilet removed and reinstalled without the messy wax removal.

I did the food coloring test and found no evidence of a crack.

More info........

The only evidence is the wet grout near the front of the toilet. Upon removal of the toilet the top of the wax seal looked lit it just came out of the package. Water was present on the top of was seal.

The sewer flange is below the floor since the ceramic tile was installed so I have been told to put a spaced on the flange to bring it to floor level or slightly above the floor then the wax seal will seal.

I think the sealing issue will be solved but my delimma is drying the grout. I am going to remove the small spots of wet grout and replace it. Does that seem like the solution to the grout issue???
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

fluidmaster non-wax is all I will ever use as well.

The non wax seal has a greater travel distance so it may be able to work without the spacer flange. I think I have heard that the spacer should get a seal too. My tile is going in this week and its going to be the non wax seal for me.

The grout being wet shouldn't harm it. I'd just hit it with Clorox cleanup, and dry it, or let it dry. I'd stuff some paper towels in the pipe opening, to keep sewer gas out of the house, and let a fan blow on it for a while.

The Sani Seal gasket is what most of the supply places around here like and push. Squishy thick rubber.

with my limited experience each brand had a different flange height as well as wax came in two or three thicknesses. I read Wax does not support bacteria and on any toilet ive ever replaced the only one that failed was where previous owner put the toilet in and didnt shim there and in time it rocked on the ceramic. Right or wrong I still shim them level then caulk all the way around but leave a bit at the back in case there ever was a water leak it would be apparent. so far guess ive lucked out.

The die test is important and I was told you should do it once a month, that is colour in the top bowl see if it ends up in the bottom. One fancy Toto I put in the fill valve did have issues in time, dirt affect them more than old school ball things and sure enough water was going through. I stepped up the leak test or how I was told to instead shut the water going in off., put die in and mark it with a sharpie. That is better than just the die, you know your reference line and if any water is lost you will see it two ways but you see how much.

I have a number of rubber ones but for some reason always go back to the wax ones, guess cause ive never had one fail.

Do remember I used to flip a toilet over and put a straight edge on it to see how much space there was between the toilet flange one the base and the floor. Any shimming done would increase the distance there.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-20-2021 at 1:01 PM.

IMHO, there is no need to remove grout. Just block the opening to prevent 'updraft' of sewer gas. Treat the grout with bleach or bathroom cleanser. Then use a hair dryer, heat gun or fan and time to dry the surface. Lots of ways to solve the s'pace issue, spacer, plain wax ring+a cant leak brand with the plastic extender or the newer non-wax solutions. They all work

I would have the plumber come back and do the job properly.....

To seal open pipe place rubber ball or a paint can on it. Just make sure it is more then big enough it can not fall in. Even a piece of 2x6 or tile will work.
    Bill D

Blog Entries
    FYI, a sheet of newspaper laid under tank on toilet will show any leaks.
    This is also a great way to find the origin of a leak under a sink. Cheap and easy.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Absolutely.
    Either that or a Fluidmaster Better Than Wax.<--all my plumber ever uses anymore.
    I agree. Someone turned me on to that product and it's much better than wax.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.