Thread: Is it possible to identify these logs?

Is it possible to identify these logs?

I was walking near my house and found this in some woods. I'm a sucker for finding wood to turn and these logs look like they might have some interesting spalting. Any opinions on what these might be or whether they're too far gone? Although they're not too far from my house, I would still need some help to get them out of the woods, into my car, etc. I have a small battery powered chainsaw, so I would have to do any wood butchering at home.

Thanks.

Too far gone for me to ID. What's the predominant species in your woods? The sapwood looks too far gone to turn. Maybe take your saw over and take a thin slice off one of the ends to see if the heart wood is still solid and spalting before you go to the trouble of hauling the wood out.

Odd, none of the photos show up for me.

JKJ

Not for me either.

Nor me -- haven't shown up ever in several visits over several hours

That’s strange. One minute the pictures were there. And then they weren’t. Trying again now from my iPad.

A512AE52-661D-49CA-B440-824FCB6EE4DD.jpg

F4ADFC31-07C4-4B5F-B089-2F7568890328.jpg

F0458BE7-D15C-4973-8F9C-278A55D28399.jpg

27ED2C43-011F-427D-BB40-9679AD26EF6B.jpg

Those look too far gone IMO, unless they hold some sentimental value I wouldn’t bother.
    Good luck!
    Tom

Quote Originally Posted by David Bolson View Post
    That’s strange. One minute the pictures were there. And then they weren’t. Trying again now from my iPad.
    I can see them now. Curious, David, what method did you use to post the invisible pictures? Was it from a mobile device? I looked at the coding in the original message and there were upload codes for the photos but oddly coded compared to normal uploads.

I might be surprised but my first impressing is they should head to the log compost heap. (I have been composting piles of stumps and logs for 15 years now - they eventually turn to soil!)

The thing to do (may have been mentioned already) is to cut the ends off some and see. If punky inside, don't bother with them. If nicely spalted and hard enough you can't push your thumbnail into the end grain, maybe.

There is more hope for the longest log than the other. Deterioration proceeds slowly from the outside and quickly from the end grain. I'd cut 6" at a time off the ends and see if you cut back to some useful wood. Who knows, maybe there will be some spectacular pieces.

Another thing about degrading log sections - depending on the species they may be infested with various insects. You may be able to spot some invaders or their holes as you cut into the log.

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by John K Jordan View Post
    I can see them now. Curious, David, what method did you use to post the invisible pictures? Was it from a mobile device? I looked at the coding in the original message and there were upload codes for the photos but oddly coded compared to normal uploads.JKJ
    I did do something different. I wrote my post and attached the pictures using the standard method. Then I realized that I was in the wrong forum. So, before I posted in the wrong forum, I cut and pasted into a "new post" on the turning forum. I wasn't sure that would work, but it seemed to as everything seemed to post properly. And then the pictures disappeared an hour later....