Thread: Condensation in crawl space

Condensation in crawl space

I had to get into the crawl space under the house and discovered condensation dripping from everything. There is foam insulation sprayed under the entire floor. I recently removed the vent covers. Maybe I shouldn’t have them on at all? Do I just hope that now it will dry out?
    Steve Jenkins, McKinney, TX. 469 742-9694
    Always use the word "impossible" with extreme caution

I have a very wet crawl space caused by rain water seepage and I mean a lot. The sump pump runs often. On the list is to add a French drain to get rid of the bulk of the water and seal wrap the space. Until that happens I went out and bought a dehumidifier to lower the humidity level in that space. If you have moisture condensing on surfaces I wouldn't delay doing something to stop it. My father's house had a moisture problem and although he put drains in and routed all the downspout water away but it was too late. We found out that "Dry Rot" is really wood that stayed wet for a long time and then dried out. It was under contact with Orkin but they never said anything until a termite letter was needed to sell the house.

I lined our crawlspace with this stuff. I like it. You can seal up the whole space from the ground, but you may still need to put in a dehumidifier down there. We're on top of a hill here, so ours has stayed dry, with no excess moisture, or mold, just by completely sealing it. I put a layer of sand down (under that thick vapor barrier), when I built that part of our house, and it's not bad at all crawling around under there. A decade later, and it's surprisingly still clean under there.

I forget all the extra bits, and pieces I bought, but you can poke around on the rest of this site:

https://crawlspacerepair.com/12-mil-...-guardianliner

I think there are two options for crawl spaces, keep the vents open or seal and insulate the space and run a HVAC duct into it. It could be the floor is cool and the moisture is condensing. I live not too far west of you and I noticed my shop window unit is dripping more than normal this year. Covering the dirt with a vapor barrier will definitely help.

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    I lined our crawlspace with this stuff. I like it. You can seal up the whole space from the ground, but you may still need to put in a dehumidifier down there. We're on top of a hill here, so ours has stayed dry, with no excess moisture, or mold, just by completely sealing it. I put a layer of sand down (under that thick vapor barrier), when I built that part of our house, and it's not bad at all crawling around under there. A decade later, and it's surprisingly still clean under there.

I forget all the extra bits, and pieces I bought, but you can poke around on the rest of this site:

https://crawlspacerepair.com/12-mil-...-guardianliner

They need to correct their web site. Says it comes in 12 inch wide roll, eighty five feet long, and covers a little over 1000sq ft.