Thread: Epifanes

Epifanes

Hello-
    I'm making a Mahagony table (70x35) and plan to finish with Epifanes matte because this thing will get some sun. I'm confused as to weather I should 'seal' it first such as with sanding sealer and then apply thinned Epifanes or is the thinned Epifanes the 'sealer' and go right to it. I did a test piece with 3 coats of sealer and then some Epifanes and it looks pretty good. Stick with that?

Scott

Unless there is a particular issues with the wood that you're concerned about. There is no need for a separate sealer.

Stick with that.

If it's going to get some sun outdoors, go to it with Epifanes, it's good stuff. But if it's going to be indoors with some sun exposure then there are better products to use than Epifanes. Epifanes is soft compared to indoor finishes, so it will scratch more easily. It also takes forever to apply the required 7 coats. A better choice for indoors is TC's EM-9300WB. In fact, it can be used outdoors, too. It has a good UV package, a nice amber tint, and dries and cures much faster than Epifanes since it's a waterborne.

John

Thanks John. Looks good but I don't have a dealer anywhere near Chicago. Shipping is pretty pricey but maybe worth it? I'm considering. . .
    Scott

Scott, get on Target's mailing list so you get the discount codes. They generally more than make up for the shipping cost which I consider reasonable give then weight and nature of the product. Target really doesn't do a whole lot of retail business through dealers.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

According to Rebecca Wittman who literally wrote the book on varnishing, a sealer should precede varnish coats. She suggests thinning the first coat of varnish to 50% to use as a sealer, the second coat to 80% and subsequent coats to manufacturer suggested and weather dependent thinning standards for coats 3 through 11. Yes 11 coats.

I've used Epifanes for years and found it very resilient to UV degradation as contrasted to other varnishes.

She suggests thinning the first coat of varnish to 50% to use as a sealer, the second coat to 80% and subsequent coats to manufacturer suggested and weather dependent thinning standards for coats 3 through 11. Yes 11 coats.
    Precisely, as stated in the directions on the can of Epifanes, and yes, contrary to a dozen years ago when it was just 6, they strongly urge 12 coats now.
    Funny what you can learn by spending a few minutes reading a can.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Roltgen View Post
    Precisely, as stated in the directions on the can of Epifanes, and yes, contrary to a dozen years ago when it was just 6, they strongly urge 12 coats now.
    Funny what you can learn by spending a few minutes reading a can.
    12 coats? Holy cow. When I used it it was 7, and the last two or three were w/o thinning. That ends up making a really thick film. If 12 layers are the new norm I'm looking for something else. EM-9300 looks like a much more attractive option to me.

John

I put 7 coats on my Ipe mailbox 10 years ago. It looks like it was dipped in plastic. Although it has lasted 10 years in the sun in New Jersey, getting pee'd on at least once a day and whipped with a weed whacker every week.