Thread: Pergola

Pergola

Son in law came over Sat am and with his help we got this pergola built in about 5 hours. I had cut all the tails and laid out and cut all the notches the day before, and everything fit except 2 notches had to be cut a bit. Nothing can break your back like wet, treated wood.

20210718_143933.jpg 20210718_144020.jpg 20210718_144152.jpg
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

Looks great. Yes that stuff is heavy!

Looks good Bill - add some mid-July heat to the job to really make things interesting.

Pretty Cool Bill.
    I like the shade those laydown. Your supposed to wait till Fall and cooler weather to do those outside project

Looks good Bill. I imagine you had to grit your teeth on the going rate for treated lumber. I bought a 14’ 2x4 a couple of months back and was pained to $15 for construction grade lumber at the local big box store.

Bill the post joints worry me, that and no bracing. Given the weight up there a strong wind could bring that down easily. The post grooves could go all the way up the beam, increasing the joint strength enormously, stylish add ons each side extending down a little to further increase the joint strength. Those two screws won’t do much. I think that would be a minimum if you don’t want bracing.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Quote Originally Posted by William Fretwell View Post
    Bill the post joints worry me, that and no bracing. Given the weight up there a strong wind could bring that down easily. The post grooves could go all the way up the beam, increasing the joint strength enormously, stylish add ons each side extending down a little to further increase the joint strength. Those two screws won’t do much. I think that would be a minimum if you don’t want bracing.
    Bracing is still a discussion with the Boss - style, curves, etc. The posts go below the decking, are lagged to a joist and half lap over the beam holding the joists and lagged again. Additionally 3 of the 4 are attached to the rail, which in turn is lagged to the beams and joists below. I'm not worried about the joint at the top of the posts, and the beam. In order for it to fail, all the joist joints would have to fail to allow the 2x12 to roll out of the notch. But I take your point - the notches could have been deeper, and add ons would help as well. And that may become part of the bracing. I'm in favor of something like this:

2021-07-21_11h15_07.jpg

But I am under no delusions about who is the project manger on this job.

Bill, nicely done! Did you use a jig saw on the tails and then finish with a router & jig?
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    Bill, nicely done! Did you use a jig saw on the tails and then finish with a router & jig?
    Thx - no router, just the jig saw. Really put the old Ryobi battery jig saw to the test but it did the job

Yes Bill one of those on each side would look good and strengthen the joint. A bow saw would be ideal for that. Can’t see the legs penetrating the deck in the picture.
    ​You can do a lot with very little! You can do a little more with a lot!

Looks good Bill!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I have been refurbishing my 20 year old deck and re-using a lot of the materials. The more deteriorated pieces are being replaced. I am a bit surprised with the weight differences between the new and old materials. Some of the new posts have been setting for a few months as I recovered from knee replacement yet they are still much denser than the old.

Foisting those 2-bys must have been quite an effort. Now you can enjoy the nice structure with the added shade for years to come. Thanks for sharing!
    Rustic? Well, no. That was not my intention!

Thx for the kinds words folks.

The boss has decreed no brackets, and I'm fine with that. I have no worries about any of the joints.

My son in law is a beast. After the 4x4's were secured, I patched the deck and he just lifted the 2x12's and 10's into place by himself like they were balsa wood. Ahhh, youth. Way back when, we did a lot of remodeling in Lincoln Park, Chi, and when we needed plywood on the roof we would stand in the windows and pass it up the side of the building like it was playing cards. Now I buy half sheets. So it goes.

That’s gonna make that porch much more usable,

Nice job Bill! It’s amazing you got it done in 5 hours, even with your preliminary work.