Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Used Felder Ad941

Used Felder Ad941

Hi,
    Can anyone give me a rough estimate on a used Felder Ad941 16” jointer planer?
    Machine was purchased in 2018 and barely used in a hobby shop.
    I think typically 50% from purchase price but in this case since it’s barely used, I don’t know.
    I believe purchase price back then was around $12,500 with the spiral cutter and electric table lift, oh and it’s single phase.

thanks for any info or opinions

david

In a normal market I'd say yes 50%. 6-7k. But the market right now is hot. Lots of back orders with new machines, and so forth, so used machinery is up and selling fast. I wouldn't be surprised if it sells for 7-9k, especially if it's in excellent condition.

If you can get it for 6k that'd be a steal.

Various people will have various perspectives about a "fair" price for a used machine. Among the many factors at play are :

- condition of the machine
    - "fit" of the machine with regards to your needs/desires
    - efforts and costs related to moving the machine to your shop
    - availability and condition of similar used machines in your area

...and, in the current environment, value of the immediate availability of the machine you want compared to the frequent 8+ month delivery time for some new equipment (depending on type of machine and manufacturer).

At the end of the day you will be left with a couple of questions: did I miss / seize an opportunity on a machine I wanted? and, am I happy with my decision? From my perspective the rest is irrelevant.

Free advice worth every penny.

Regards,

J.

I do not think European machines devalue the same as other imports - if it is like new, less than 2 years old and I was trying to sell it, I would have it around 75 to 80% of new, depending on condition - Talk to Felder and see what a new one would cost and the time to get it - that alone would make me buy the used on. Have a shop full of Felder and Martin equipment and enjoy using them every time I go into my shop

The machine is still on the pallet and never used except for powering up, the tables still have the paper on them, my problem is I’m beginning to think 9 grand is a bit much. All he will let me do is run it without any wood going through, I’ve heard of warped tables and other warranty problems, felder parts can be expensive. It’s not like it’s been running in a shop producing accurate machining so it’s another chance I’m taking.
    maybe I’m being too picky, but it’s still a lot of money w/o warranty.

david

I wont go into detail out of respect for the member here who bought it, but I recently sold a 15 year old Italian machine for more than I paid for it new. The premise of using a percentage of purchase price is foolish. If the machine in question was mine to sell I'd be looking for $10k in my location based on your description.

$9000 and its local? I'd consider it a great deal being its new, never used and you dont have to wait a year to get it. You're buying a Felder, I'd say warped tables or any quality issue are nil to none. The Felder machinery I own is top notch. I'd love to upgrade from my AD741 to a 941 with a spiral head. If you decide to pass please let me know the details on it.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by David Less View Post
    The machine is still on the pallet and never used except for powering up, the tables still have the paper on them, my problem is I’m beginning to think 9 grand is a bit much. All he will let me do is run it without any wood going through, I’ve heard of warped tables and other warranty problems, felder parts can be expensive. It’s not like it’s been running in a shop producing accurate machining so it’s another chance I’m taking.
    maybe I’m being too picky, but it’s still a lot of money w/o warranty.

david
    I understand being cautious with a purchase of significance such as this. Buying something out of warranty always poses some level of risk. Your decision will depend on your tolerance to risk.

One way to look at this is you could probably spend 4,000$ in repairs and still end up paying less than a new machine…whenever it would arrive in your shop (if I understand well your description this is as close to a new machine as you can get). As for tables, a visit with the proper measuring tools should provide you with the additional information you need to feel more comfortable.

Problematic machines exist, but based on what is found on internet the frequency of such events does not appear to be high. Given that people generally have a tendency to complain about something more often than they will praise successful products, the low frequency of negative reports is an indicator of performance that should be included in the decision making equation.

I'll agree with the others that the $9K number, especially now knowing it's still on the original pallet and with very limited use, is a darn good price. He could easily sell it for more in the current market in most geographies, even without a warranty.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

At $9k I'd seriously consider buying it to flip. Feel free to share the location...

You're always going to hear stories on here about how someone got a new Sawstop ICS for $100 and the seller gave them a used drum sander to sweeten the deal. But those tales notwithstanding....

That jointer is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it. In today's environment, 9k seems like a good deal. Bring a nice, long straight edge and some feeler gauges and you should be able to get an idea of what you are getting into.

Here’s problem I’m having with the seller…
    When I told him I wanted to come over to further inspect and see what’s involved in moving it, he says he wants a $3000 deposit. I told him I’d give him 250 and my good faith handshake and pick it up as soon as Saturday, but he refuses.
    I told him it would cost me the deposit and then some to hire an attorney if he decided to not honor the agreement, a receipt is just a pc of paper, lol

Any opinions on this? Never had someone request a large deposit on something I was picking up in a few days, plus I live 20 minutes away.

I feel like this is more stress than it’s worth

help

It’s a sellers market, the deposit ask sounds odd to me.

Are you asking them to hold it? If so maybe, but has some risk.

I would not pay anything until you go there, see it, and meet the seller so they know that you know where they live.
    Last edited by Michael W. Clark; 07-19-2021 at 7:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by David Less View Post
    Here’s problem I’m having with the seller…
    When I told him I wanted to come over to further inspect and see what’s involved in moving it, he says he wants a $3000 deposit. I told him I’d give him 250 and my good faith handshake and pick it up as soon as Saturday, but he refuses.
    I told him it would cost me the deposit and then some to hire an attorney if he decided to not honor the agreement, a receipt is just a pc of paper, lol

Any opinions on this? Never had someone request a large deposit on something I was picking up in a few days, plus I live 20 minutes away.

I feel like this is more stress than it’s worth

help
    if so. and you are only 20 minutes away, just go today or next day with your trailer/truck, pay the guy, take it away. simple as that. I dont do deposit myself, either selling or buying.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael W. Clark View Post
    It’s a sellers market, the deposit ask sounds odd to me.

Are you asking them to hold it? If so maybe, but has some risk.

I would not pay anything until you go there, see it, and meet the seller so they know that you know where they live.
    I meet with him and we talked for an hour about stuff, at the time I didn’t check the machine that closely because he didn’t say he was selling it. The only reason I was there was to see one close rather than drive to Felder.
    no, I’m not asking him to hold, a requested an inspection before I rented a drop deck trailer and other moving equipment which would be that saturday for pick up. He hasn’t even advertised it or has anyone else lined up. So he has no skin in the game as they say, Very strange IMO.