Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Used Felder Ad941

Quote Originally Posted by David Less View Post
    Here’s problem I’m having with the seller…
    When I told him I wanted to come over to further inspect and see what’s involved in moving it, he says he wants a $3000 deposit. I told him I’d give him 250 and my good faith handshake and pick it up as soon as Saturday, but he refuses.
    I told him it would cost me the deposit and then some to hire an attorney if he decided to not honor the agreement, a receipt is just a pc of paper, lol

Any opinions on this? Never had someone request a large deposit on something I was picking up in a few days, plus I live 20 minutes away.

I feel like this is more stress than it’s worth

help
    I buy and sell a lot of machines; when buying I offer $100 non refundable deposit and a handshake after I've met the seller if I need a few days to work out the details of moving a machine. If that's not enough I move on, the seller is going to be difficult to work with. When selling, if the buyer needs a few days and doesn't offer the same I tell them to call when they are ready to come and I'll let them know if it's still available. Works 100% of the time for me.

Is this anywhere near Elmira NY? I talked with a guy a couple of years ago who had a whole shop full of brand new Felder machines he wanted to sell due to health reasons. He was one difficult guy to deal with. If that's him he's clearly in no hurry to sell.

John

I remember that guy and his shop too, JohnI think he was in Troy, PA south of Elmira.

To the OP, I love used machines, and this is probably the worst kind of used machine to buy, in my opinion. This seller is going to grind the market to squeeze every last penny out of his investment. As he should, I would do the same. And as everyone has mentioned, someone is going to buy it for $1,000 off list price just to save the wait time. Personally, I’d rather wait 8 months, have a warranty, and the thing delivered to my house fully insured for $1,000. Better still, I would find one that is 5 years old with some miles on it and buy it for $6,000. Good luck either way.

No it’s not, my seller actually contacted me, and just the opposite I’m in no hurry to buy

Lol, I agree, that’s probably why I’m not in a hurry to fork over 9 grand
    plus him being very difficult to work with, sometimes not worth the stress of saving a few bucks

$3000 to hold a machine for a few days for a local? That's outrageous and risky. Felder isn't the greatest at stocking parts, expect 1-2 months if you need something and its not in stock.

Quote Originally Posted by David Less View Post
    I meet with him and we talked for an hour about stuff, at the time I didn’t check the machine that closely because he didn’t say he was selling it. The only reason I was there was to see one close rather than drive to Felder.
    no, I’m not asking him to hold, a requested an inspection before I rented a drop deck trailer and other moving equipment which would be that saturday for pick up. He hasn’t even advertised it or has anyone else lined up. So he has no skin in the game as they say, Very strange IMO.
    Offer him a reasonable deposit on the spot if you are happy with the machine during the inspection and a specific day to pick up with the remainder of the payment in-hand. It's reasonable, IMHO, for you to have a few minutes up close with the prospective machine, given it's local. He has nothing to lose other than those few minutes with you being there. If he's not willing to do that, I wonder if he really wants to sell it...
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have the ad941 and once dialed in I have had no issues, it’s a great machine and the only thing I pine for is separates…

9k is fair (slightly high) for what you describe if you were looking to buy new today - If you are looking for a screaming deal than this isn’t it… I don’t think anything is different than the new one you would buy today

I would have no concerns with table warpage, if you are that concerned i would bring a 4’ - 6’ precision straight edge and feeler gauges to take a quick few checks for dips… but if you are going to do that you need the Felder Specs to compare it to… should be this much or that is a different discussion… if you need the specs DM me and I will send what came with my machine….

You may not need to adjust the tables but I would plan on doing that to get it dialed to your expectations - both of mine required it , the first one the in-feed was 1/4”- 3/8” out on delivery…. The planer bed is pretty much dead nuts…

Felder support Is pretty good and I am pretty sure you can call them to assist with issues on a used machine - tip, if you do need to adjust tables do not touch the hinge side until all other options are attempted, Felder service can help you with this. There are a few quirks on this machine as far as adjusting the outfeed, without knowing this one may think the table needs further adjustment...

As far as the deposit, why not set up a time with him, reserve any equipment/personal needed go there and if you accept tell him you will be back in an hour with the trailer and the money, if he is being this difficult with the deposit he is being that way with everyone and it won’t be gone in that hour
    Last edited by Mark e Kessler; 07-20-2021 at 12:13 PM.

Thanks for all the great reply's guys

I'll keep you posted on my decision

David