Thread: Yet another newbie

Yet another newbie

Very new to turning I Recently acquired a used Delta 46-460. While waiting for parts, (hardware mounting the motor) I replaced both switches. Discovered there is no faceplate and not sure when I will need one, but it is on my list. Any suggestions?
    Bill

Welcome, the face plate is one of the basic things you will use,along with a good face shield, what you need, will depend on what you are going to be turning.

Bill, welcome to the club!

Let us know what size spindle threads you have. Members here may have extra faceplates that they might offer for sale or give you if you get real lucky.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Strauss View Post
    Bill, welcome to the club!

Let us know what size spindle threads you have. Members here may have extra faceplates that they might offer for sale or give you if you get real lucky.
    Yes, what he said.
    According to this the spindle thread is 1"x8tpi, common for small lathes.

A basic starting wishlist:
    - faceplate
    - scroll chuck
    - drive and live centers
    - a tool or three (gouge, skew, etc.)
    - a bench grinder for sharpening
    - some safety things (dust mask, safety glasses, perhaps a face shield)
    - a couple of good books (IMO, the best way to get started and excel)

From there the list extends towards infinity. There is a reason turning can become an obsession, sometimes called "The Vortex".

Exactly what John said but for me I could do without the faceplate and I would add a club. Not the kind to beat a fish with but one you could join. It's the best way to learn I believe, watching and talking to other turners. Best of luck with your journey!
    Pete

* It's better to be a lion for a day than a sheep for life - Sister Elizabeth Kenny *
    I think this equates nicely to wood turning as well . . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Blair View Post
    ...I could do without the faceplate and I would add a club. Not the kind to beat a fish with but one you could join. It's the best way to learn I believe, watching and talking to other turners....
    ..... .....

Don't let the lack of a faceplate stop you from turning. I'm relatively new to turning and admittedly turn only bowls and have turned some pens. I only used the faceplate that came with my original lathe once in 3+ years. I recently upgraded to a Powermatic 3520 and have not used the faceplate since delivery. I'm sure there are turnings that benefit from a faceplate, but I have found, so far, it really isn't a priority to have one for me.

It was several years after I started turning that I think I first used a facdeplate, and I started with bowls and boxes.

Thanks to all for your interest in my new venture. It all started when a limb from a Chinese Pistache came down and I thought about making bowls. Little did I know about wood splitting and pith. But I do know about stuff flying into my face from milling wood. A face shield was one of the first purchases.

Living here in Northern CA, (Chico) I am blessed with all the walnut and almond orchards.

John: I also relearned how one toy leads to another. My WorkSharp was seldom used except for chisels for M&T work. Now it sports some of Tormek’s accessories for sharpening gouges and its own sharpening station.
    And yes, the spindle has a 1”x 8tpi.

Gotta clean up the shop,
    Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Henrickson View Post
    It was several years after I started turning that I think I first used a facdeplate, and I started with bowls and boxes.
    Most of the time I prefer a scroll chuck or a screw chuck but I like to use a face plate on occasion. The last time was when I helped another turner to set up to make a round picture frame for an embroidery.

Kristina_frame_IMG_8279_e.jpg Kristina_frame_IMG_8299_e.jpg

We used a piece of plywood to support the frame with double-sided tape to turn the front. I could have used a chuck but would have had to glue on a block and still figure out how to hold the plywood just to turn the block to fit a chuck. (probably would have used a faceplate!)

Although I don't use face plates often, for the special cases I'd hate not to have them.

Extra face plate? Some people use one to make a sanding disk.

Bill,
    Great suggestions have been made so I won't add any. I will, however, welcome you to the vortex. Enjoy, and do consider joining a club.