Thread: Laser issue

Laser issue

I was just starting a job this afternoon when the laser just shut down. I traced the problem to the emergency stop switch, that sucker was hotter than 400 hundred hells and wouldn't make contact for what I was able to determine with the volt ohms meter. I have ordered a new switch but I want to know what the opinion is if I hook things up direct to finish the job. The new switch is supposed to be here late next week but I need to finish this job sooner than that if possible.

Thanks,
    Terry Wade
    BEC Fiber Laser 50 watts with Rotary Attachment and supplied EzCad
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment
    Shenhui 350 50 watts with supplied RDWorksV8
    Sherline CNC Milling Machine
    Concrete Printer CNC Engraver

Which machine? What happened exactly, did the laser just stop firing or did the whole machine shut down?

The e-stop button on my Triumph -80w RECI - kills the entire machine. Not sure if it's also wired to the milliamp meter, but it wouldn't be necessary if the main power is cut off-

Guess what I'm saying is, not sure why your switch is wired to your milliamp meter? So, not sure I'd trust jumping around the switch just yet- any more info?
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

The machine is the Nice cut, the machine just went totally dead, I reset the emergency switch and the machine came back to life for about 20 minutes then shut down totally again and would not reset again. . I was using my volt-ohms meter to see where I had power and the emergency switch is where the power flow stopped, so I figured I should be able to just take the switch out and wire the leads together for each side of the switch. Am I thinking correctly? That would at least let me finish a job I just started when this happened until the new switch gets here in the next few days.
    BEC Fiber Laser 50 watts with Rotary Attachment and supplied EzCad
    Nice Cut 1600x1200 100 watt Reci with supplied RDWorks and Corel Draw X8, Rotary attachment
    Shenhui 350 50 watts with supplied RDWorksV8
    Sherline CNC Milling Machine
    Concrete Printer CNC Engraver

jumping around the switch should work fine, but catch-22 is, did the estop switch just go bad, or is there something going on that caused it to fail? Bad contacts in the switch would definitely cause it to get hot, and get worse-

I'm the kind of guy who'd bypass the switch and try it, as long as the voltage on the hot side is good, and the load side ohms isn't showing a short--
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle