Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: spindle travel?

spindle travel?

I've got a question that I cant seem to find answer in the forum...

I ordered a spindle moulder, a TI145EP from SCM and it was delivered around mid May. here are some photos of the spindle moulder

5.jpg

I have been busy with other works and havnt had proper play with it, until recently I tried to get familiar with my spindle moulder and I found the spindle can only travel up and down 70mm, or 2.75 inches. I was a bit surprised, when I contacted SCM I am told this is a move to be safer as stacking multiple cutter block on the spindle is not safe practice.

is this the new normal? I am used to old style spindle moulder where the entire spindle can travel up and down say 5-6 inches, from picture below you can see the micro switch that limits the movement is 70mm/2.75 inches.

7.jpg

image0.jpg

10.jpg

thats sounds odd. On top some older heavy duty stuff had top braces with a bearing.

Likely have 5 inches of up and down on the shapers I have. Most ive ever seen was an SCM T160 I wanted to buy. Huge under the nut seem to be double any other shaper id seen, when I hand turned the spindle it was smooth as silk. It also tilted. It also had maintenance records on the side. Rare to see that. Unfortunately there was a guy there that had worked at the company and was on a mission to buy three or four old quality european machines.

Years ago I used a couple of shapers in employments that had really tall custom made spindles. Never liked the SCM stuff ,too gimmicky.
    I’ve used a couple of shapers that had spindles so ripply ,that I wondered if they had been hand rolled on a kitchen table like kid’s “safe clay”.

How the heck are you supposed to mount complex cutters for making windows, etc? I have seen some cutter stacks that are at least 4” tall.

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Quenneville View Post
    How the heck are you supposed to mount complex cutters for making windows, etc? I have seen some cutter stacks that are at least 4” tall.
    The usable spindle above the table is 150mm/6 inches. You can move -70mm/2.75inch down from there. You can use complex cutter block that’s like 5-5.5 inches tall. Just the movement is limited to 70mm

The spindle travel is interesting. I have a much more entry level Felder F700Z and the spindle moves maybe 6" with the power drive.

Maybe that was an engineering trade off to allow for the adjustment mechs. That much travel is plenty and there is a lot of movement going on in that cabinet. It's all got to work at full tilt too.

One of the first things you learn with a shaper is always raise the spindle for tall work , that is to avoid needless strain on the spindle.
    Putting a bunch of spacers under the tooling causes needless wear and work that shows uneven laps.

Blog Entries
    That seems odd.

My tilting machine has 5.5" or so of travel and I thought that was short. However the tilting mechanism along with the motor mounting orientation are the cause of the travel limitations.

Apparently I'm spoiled as my other two (non tilt) have 180mm/7" and 260mm/10" of travel.

Edit to add, looking at the pictures you posted again this dimension is the limiting factor on my tilting spindle. It looks like there is limited clearance there.
    7.jpg
    Last edited by Jared Sankovich; 07-22-2021 at 12:26 AM.

top of the griggio spindle goes to 8" above the table. The T130 goes to about 10" to the top above the table. Didnt measure the combo machine it will be less.

I want the travel for when i put a false top on the machine and if ever attaching one of those tennon things. the tennon thing adds some height likely a couple of inches. The griggio had a custom sliding table on it and it was well up above the table top not measured but likely closer to 3". I need travel for that, best to keep cutters low.
    Last edited by Warren Lake; 07-22-2021 at 12:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny means View Post
    Maybe that was an engineering trade off to allow for the adjustment mechs. That much travel is plenty and there is a lot of movement going on in that cabinet. It's all got to work at full tilt too.
    Yes I tend to agree... TBH I dont think I need the full travel, as long as the usable spindle length is there say 6 inch/150mm then I guess I am good.

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    One of the first things you learn with a shaper is always raise the spindle for tall work , that is to avoid needless strain on the spindle.
    Putting a bunch of spacers under the tooling causes needless wear and work that shows uneven laps.
    thats true Mel. having the tooling at the bottom of the spindle is the proper way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by Jared Sankovich View Post
    That seems odd.

My tilting machine has 5.5" or so of travel and I thought that was short. However the tilting mechanism along with the motor mounting orientation are the cause of the travel limitations.

Apparently I'm spoiled as my other two (non tilt) have 180mm/7" and 260mm/10" of travel.

Edit to add, looking at the pictures you posted again this dimension is the limiting factor on my tilting spindle. It looks like there is limited clearance there.
    7.jpg
    Well spotted! I will go down have a better look. it does look like that space is the limiting factor. 260mm travel is HUGE. do you ever need to use the full length?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Lake View Post
    top of the griggio spindle goes to 8" above the table. The T130 goes to about 10" to the top above the table. Didnt measure the combo machine it will be less.

I want the travel for when i put a false top on the machine and if ever attaching one of those tennon things. the tennon thing adds some height likely a couple of inches. The griggio had a custom sliding table on it and it was well up above the table top not measured but likely closer to 3". I need travel for that, best to keep cutters low.
    Griggio makes beautiful machines, shame about the bankrupt...

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Albert Lee View Post
    260mm travel is HUGE. do you ever need to use the full length?
    No, not at all. It's only 140mm under the nut so it has far more travel than really needed. This model (casolin f90) was available with the side tenoning table that adds a good bit of height, as well as 40mm and 50mm spindles with 180mm under the nut. I believe that was the main reason for the extra travel on this machine.