Thread: OK Have to ask

OK Have to ask

I have been a member for a long time here but have still not figured out how to use this forum which is different than many. When a post is made, there are replys and the next time I come here I see the topic in dark blue which to me indicated new replys were added. I go to look at the very last one I read but can not find the new replys. Now maybe they replied to someone within the thread but why not just have them listed in a row instead of having to search for them. Maybe there is something I need to do to set up my pages and I have not done so hopefully others can explain and hopefully you understand my question. Thanks.
    John T.

John, you have your thread display mode set to hybrid. Go into your settings and set it to “linear – oldest first” and see what you think.
    Last edited by Bruce Page; 07-18-2021 at 12:28 AM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    Along with what Bruce mentions about your General Settings you may have missed a feature of the menus of the posts:

Menu SMC.png

Notice the dot preceding the BOLD thread title. If you click on that it will bring you to the first new (to you) post. Not sure but it may have something with cookies or some other way a site keeps track of what people have and haven't read.

Also notice the green disk with an arrow. That indicates the person viewing the menu has posted into the thread. Hover your curser over it and it will show how many posts have been from the viewer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    In the dark blue bar across the page near the top is a tab called "Forum Actions". Click on the tab and you will see the options of: "Mark Forums Read", "General Settings" and "Edit Profile". If you click on the Mark Forums Read just before you leave the site it will mark all posts as having been seen by you and when you return only new posts and those posts with new responses will be in dark print.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Along with what Bruce mentions about your General Settings you may have missed a feature of the menus of the posts:

Menu SMC.png

Notice the dot preceding the BOLD thread title. If you click on that it will bring you to the first new (to you) post. Not sure but it may have something with cookies or some other way a site keeps track of what people have and haven't read.

Also notice the green disk with an arrow. That indicates the person viewing the menu has posted into the thread. Hover your curser over it and it will show how many posts have been from the viewer.

jtk

Wow I am not seeing alot of this. I see the envelope with the green arrow. Clicked on it and nothing happens. I do not see the dot preceding the bold title. I will have to play around with somethings.
    John T.

I have been following the thread Hey Old Guys in Off Topic forum. I tried hitting that button before the bold thread name and it brought me to one of 2 new posts and that was it. I had to scan the thread to find the other. Seems like alot of work and then not sure what is new. I found the second on the third page which I thought is the way all responses should be in a row. I will have to try the first suggestion here if I can figure that out.
    John T.

OK I just tried what Bruce suggested and that is better. That is what I am most use to. I like that. But while doing that I hit a button that said mark all threads as read and now no thread is in bold letters and I do not know which ones I did not read. Is there a way to get out of that mode?? Thanks.
    John T.

Quote Originally Posted by John Terefenko View Post
    OK I just tried what Bruce suggested and that is better. That is what I am most use to. I like that. But while doing that I hit a button that said mark all threads as read and now no thread is in bold letters and I do not know which ones I did not read. Is there a way to get out of that mode?? Thanks.
    If you clicked on "Mark all threads read", you will have to wait until folks post in thread of interest again. When you press that selection, it literally tells the database that you "read" them, even if your eyes never saw them. Once someone posts new material, a thread you are subscribed to or seeing in the general forum displays will show as "bold" and permit you to click on the little marker to go directly to the first new post. This software has always been like this.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    If you clicked on "Mark all threads read", you will have to wait until folks post in thread of interest again. When you press that selection, it literally tells the database that you "read" them, even if your eyes never saw them. Once someone posts new material, a thread you are subscribed to or seeing in the general forum displays will show as "bold" and permit you to click on the little marker to go directly to the first new post. This software has always been like this.

Thanks Jim. I am seeing this now. One of the reasons I like reading old guy threads Have hit that age.
    John T.