Thread: Stain, nooks and crannies

Stain, nooks and crannies

I'm getting down to the last bits for an urn for my father's ashes. The plan is to stain it and then use Osmo over that. I'm a bit concerned though about the stain (a gel stain) will get stuck in all the nooks and crannies, leaving me with something I didn't really want. Especially in the engraving on the top. My current thought is 1) apply stain to a side, 2) madly go over all the nooks and crannies with a toothbrush, getting any extra out.

Any other thoughts? I realize those areas will end up darker than the surface wood, and that fine; it's what I'm looking for. I just don't want globs of never-drying stain goop left in there, on which the oil will also not dry.

Thanks
    Dave

IMG_2637.jpg

IMG_2638.jpg

First, it is a difficult and wonderful thing to do, making this for him. 2 months ago I was making the coffin for my son. It was the most disturbing and rewarding paradox. It overwhelms me in writing this.

The way I would approach your situation. Use pigmented Osmo. They have many different colors and Midwest Flooring has sample packets and quick shipping. Unless you have confirmed with Osmo that the stain you're using will not inhibit the Osmo sticking. Another option is to color the Osmo yourself with regular dyes.

For tight spots I used thinned product. Usually for me this looks like Osmo Thin, but for you it may be thinning your stain or thinning the colored Osmo. In my experience I have never been able to apply too much such that it creates a darker spot. Qtips or the corner of a towel work well to smush it in there.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Jonathan, I'm so sorry to hear of your son. That must have been a brutal time for you.

I have already tested this stain, which I really like, under Osmo. So I'm pretty sure the combination will work okay. But based on your input, I think thinning the stain and applying it sparingly with a qtip may be a good process here.

Dave

Such as sweet design, looking forward to seeing the finish result. My condolences.
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Condolences to both of you. Normally I pre finish, but on some items that needed assembly first, and had nook and crannies, I've used controlled compressed air to blow the stain out of hard to clean places. Hold a rag up or you'll get stain everywhere - I speak from experience.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

My father's urn is done after a couple hiccups but generally no complete disasters. The stain worked fine using the idea to thin it a fair bit before application. I know my Dad would appreciate the choice of design, wood, and methods; I only wish I could go over its construction with him as I know he would want to do.
    IMG_2673.jpgIMG_2666.jpgIMG_2671.jpgIMG_2672.jpg