Thread: Scrub Plane

Scrub Plane

Internet auction locally had a Stanley Bailey #5 I wanted as well as a Porter Cable buffer I also wanted.
    Included in the lot was a Craftsman elec. plane, misc. screwdrivers, pliers....
    I got the lot for $47 + tax et al.
    In the bottom of box was a BRAND NEW EC Emerich 1 1/4" wooden scrub plane unassembled with the factory sharpened blade.
    Would this be considered a score?? Need I oil up or wax the wood body?
    1st scrub plane can't wait to play with it. Thanx

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

I have one, and now it's sharpened (mine was used) it is a oy to use when needed.
    I've never waxed the sole of mine, but I know the glue can dry out; I have had to repair parts of my planes (I have 3 wooden Emerich planes) that got loose.
    Have fun!
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Mine mainly suffers from use, and sweat. I did buy a relatively unused one out of the Classifieds here, but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I mainly used that one, that I bought new in the mid '70's, for cleaning up salvaged beams before doing anything else with them. It's fun to throw shavings three feet in the air, and I spent many hours doing it.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tom M King View Post
    Mine mainly suffers from use, and sweat. I did buy a relatively unused one out of the Classifieds here, but haven't taken it out of the box yet. I mainly used that one, that I bought new in the mid '70's, for cleaning up salvaged beams before doing anything else with them. It's fun to throw shavings three feet in the air, and I spent many hours doing it.
    Well I plan on using mine as I have lotsa WO rough sawn in the barn. The use and sweat will be a plus, I just was unsure if I should BLO it and wax the sole.
    I just couldn't believe it was lying there in the bottom of the box and wasn't included in the pics! Thanks guys!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a great bonus find.

At one time having a scrub plane didn't seem useful to me.

Then the blade on a #5-1/4 in poor condition was ground for use as a scrub plane.

Not only did it work wonders:

Two Scrub Views.jpg

It led me to buying a Stanley #40 scrub planem converting a troublesome #5 to a scrub plane and also having a scrub blade for my #5-1/2.

Anyone who works with rough sawn or reclaimed wood will likely find a scrub plane useful.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I converted a junker Stanley #4 into a scrub. Since I don’t have a jointer, I find it also very useful in removing waste from edge grain and then finishing up with a #7 or 8. Really saves a lot of time.

Nice find. I have a converted #3. Use it all the time. Enjoy!
    "You can observe a lot just by watching."
    --Yogi Berra