Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Should I move my PM66? Or sell and replace it?

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    As many here know, I'm a huge fan of short stroke sliders and while I still have a few traditional cabinet saws, they collect dust as the short strokes do everything better. I do wish there were more choices. I'm used to heavy builds so some saws seen too light for my tastes but they are still more versatile than a cabinet saw. My old whitney is heavy enough for a feeder so I never need to get hands close to the blade. If you could find a good condition SCM SI12 and a vfd, it would be my choice over any cabinet saw in build or ability. Dave
    Dave, do you still own a SI12?

I have considered dismantling my tandem table saw set up that consists of a PM 66 w/ 52” bies and Tannewitz Model U back to back in favor of an SI12 or similar, but haven’t seen a good example of the SCMI pop up in a while. For the real estate it occupies in the center of my shop I may be space ahead with just one short stroke slider?
    Still waters run deep.

I'd move it.

No SI12 but I like them. I have a Whitney, Wadkin, Robinson and Hammond for short stroke machines. Knapp with an 80" slider ( least favorite size ) and SI16 with a long stroke. The SCM, Whitney and Robinson get by far the most use. Dave

I offer my experience on sell vs. move, recognizing your circumstances may be different: I moved my entire shop from Indiana to Pennsylvania four years ago, buying a $3k twin-axle trailer to make it happen. I'm glad I did, because I could immediately start renovating the new (actually 140-year old) house and buy/sell/trade equipment without pressure. I've already covered the trailer and gas expenses by being able to sell one saw and buy another when the timing was convenient and prices were right. Of course, on the other hand, I sold my Indiana tractor, because someone wanted to buy it at a good price and I found a replacement in PA before I closed the deal.

One thing I did not see mentioned is that 5hp saws usually, in my experience, require 10 ga wire set ups. Some states even make it a code issue. Is that going to be a cost when you move? A Sawstop 3hp PCS with a 52” fence, runs nicely on a standard 220 with 12 ga all day long. Also, depending on how you buy the Sawstop you can skip the delivery charge. Have to say my Sawstop runs dados to breathtaking accuracy - the fence is wonderful, and the comments about clean blades working fine for a 3hp are correct. I have also grown fond of my fingers and the comments about on ER visit making the difference are plainly correct. That being said, expect to pay some extra for the insert for a dado, plus a new dado setup (the Dewalt is outstanding IMHO). Oh, check availability of the PCS where you are moving to - I have a 90 year old friend whose family made him buy a new Sawstop after a recent injury and he had it very shortly - our local Co-op Ace Hardware stocks and sells them. The manager has sold them to every high school and JHS in three counties, plus to me and many others.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    We have asked several times. Can you at least tell us what continent you are currently living on and or which one you will move too? All I can guess is Scotland or Ireland.
    Bill D
    Uh, no, Not Scotland or Ireland. Currently living in the upper Midwest and moving to western Colorado. As I mentioned the move will be about 1100 miles. Sorry, I thought my location was showing up in my posts. I'll have to figure out how to do that.

Unless I'm missing a model, replacing it with a slider is out of the budget.

Just wanted to update this thread to let you know I still have my PM66. To recap, last July I asked for opinions about moving the saw vs. selling it and buying new.

At the time, I priced a similarly configured Sawstop (except for HP) at $3400. (Since then, that configuration has creeped up to almost $4000.) I wasn't sure what the moving costs would be.

We used a company that just did the move. (We disassembled/packed. They loaded the truck, drove it to new loacation and unloaded it into the correct rooms.) They charged $1000 to move my shop. That included the saw, drill press, tool chest, workbench and about 25 boxes. So, I'd estimate the saw itself was about $500.

PXL_20220101_164959858.jpg

Here's it is in it's new home. I'm happy with my decision. I know my saw (does that sound wierd?) It's a very accurate saw, and I knew what I needed to do to get it back to spec.

I had an oversized outfeed/assembly table in the old shop. This time, I made a smaller outfeed table (still need to edge band and a sheet of laminate) and I'm making a separate assembly table.

PXL_20220101_165434832.jpg

In the old shop I had similar storage unit under the extension table. It wasn't very deep, because I had a small Penn State dust collector under there. I don't have a lot of accessories, and I like to have them out and available.

PXL_20220101_165118363.jpg

Overall, I'm happy that I decided to keep my saw. I have a Harvey overhead guard/dust collector on order to complete the setup.

I've moved my shop like 3 times over the last 10 years or so. I just hire a moving company and they can put that saw on 4 wheel dollies and move it and any other thing you have like nothing. All I do is point my finger on where I want it.

I'm glad you kept your PM66. It was the right thing to do.

I would recommend a saw stop i cut a finger off about 5 years ago and it cost me well over double what I could have bought a saw stop for in medical bills to reattach my finger. I now have a saw stop. My local dealer has told me many similar stories of people who came in and bought a ss shortly after a injury.

'Glad the move went sell, Clifford!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

FYI U-haul offers a service of they will supply college students? who will load or unload for a fee. Never used it just read about it here.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    FYI U-haul offers a service of they will supply college students? who will load or unload for a fee. Never used it just read about it here.
    Bill D
    UHaul connects renters with local small businesses for loading/unloading. They are not necessarily college student. (Even "College Hunks" are not actually students as it turns out) We used the referral in the UHaul system when we moved our older daughter into her apartment in 2020. It was very reasonable priced and the three men did a good, careful job with the move. This isn't material to the OP, however, as he's already moved.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...