Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I move my PM66? Or sell and replace it?

Should I move my PM66? Or sell and replace it?

We are moving to our new home, about 1100 miles away. I'm trying to decide if I should move my tablesaw (2001 PM66 5HP, with 50" Rip) or sell it.

I have my eye on a 3HP SawStop Cabinet Saw that would probably cost $3400. If I could get a good price for my PM66 and save on the moving costs, I might go that route. (A new 5HP PM2000 lists for $4200. And I don't think it's as good of a saw as the PM66.)

Should I sell the PM66 and buy the Sawstop? Or pay the moving costs? (I haven't gotten a quote for moving it yet.)

What would you do?

Blog Entries
    Given the supply chain fiasco and the spike in used gear prices it has brought with it I would hang on to that machine for dear life.

P.s. I have a Saw Stop and love it . . . just in case you were looking for an excuse
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Given the supply chain fiasco and the spike in used gear prices it has brought with it I would hang on to that machine for dear life.

P.s. I have a Saw Stop and love it . . . just in case you were looking for an excuse
    I have a 5hp 52" ICS and I love that, if you need an additional excuse. I am sure that your PM is a good saw too, and yes, I'd keep it unless you need that aforementioned "excuse". And I do like that extra 2 hp, and you could possibly miss that, being as your saw is a 5hp saw...... Just want to mention that if you decide to go with less hp. It's really nice to not hear that motor bog down.
    Keep us posted. I have to move my SS soon, and would like to know how much it could cost me.

Location and market for used machines at each end. Can you even find any used machines were you are moving to? Is there a local market at the old place for used machines. What country?
    Bill D.

The PM2000 is laughable compared to a PM66 so cross that off the list.

I have a brand new SawStop ICS 5hp and love it so far. One advantage, it's really quiet vs my previous 5hp BEAST 12" Grizzly G0696X. That's a saw of the caliber of a USA PM66. I had planned to buy another recently but they are backordered forever. The ICS fit and finish is very nice. The table and wings are not as thick as a PM66 or G0696X 12" but once you bolt them to the rails they are rock solid.

Ultimately I decided I was getting to the age where my attention isn't as sharp as it once was so I opted for the safety feature of the SawStop ICS.

I would also keep it until your sure about the sawstop.
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 07-16-2021 at 4:50 PM. Reason: removed political statement - not permitted by TOS
    Aj

If you can get a SawStop, I'd recommend going that way. In addition to being a good quality saw, it might save your fingers.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

I've moved my PM66 twice so far, I'd move it a third time without a second thought. Unless, perhaps I could get one of those Martin sliders I've seen in the movies. Jumping to another similar cabinet saw wouldn't provide sufficient joy to be worth the expense; upgrading to a slider would be another story.

If you can afford it, sell the 66 and go for the SS, without a doubt. Face it...it's the saw you'll end up anyways and the longer you wait, the more you'll pay.

I would look at the used market in your area. I often see PM66 saws for sale. The price really depends on the condition. I've seen saws that the table is covered in rust, like they left it outside for a year, to saws that look like they were bought new and cared for. Prices seem to go from about $500 to $2000. I have no clue if they sell and if they do what the final price is. I would expect that the best I could hope for would be $1500 for a PM66 in very nice shape. More than that and people start thinking about new with a warranty. Of course with the inflation this year and backorders things could have changed.

Hi, my first suggestion would be to replace it with a short stroke slider, safer, more accurate and more capabilities.

My next choice would be a Sawstop for safety, however it has the failings of all cabinet saws…Regards Rod.

I would move the saw. If you did sell I agree with Rod ,a small slider should be your next saw.

Part of the question is do you need a 5hp saw? If so, it might be best to keep the PM66 as a 5hp/52" Sawstop ICS is over $5,000. If you only need 3hp, the 52" PCS is around $3600. I'd guess the sale price of your PM66 plus the cost to ship it covers most of the expense of a 3hp/52" Sawstop PCS.

If you are driving to your new location, why not rent a enclosed trailer and move your PM 66 yourself? Rental on trailer will be most of the expense, as gas usage will be very little different.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Zeller View Post
    I would expect that the best I could hope for would be $1500 for a PM66 in very nice shape.
    If that's all I could get for my 5HP PM66, I'll just keep it and ship it.

Is there a comparable saw on the market today? Sounds like the PM2000 isn't in the same class.