Thread: router table set in line with miter saw station - question

router table set in line with miter saw station - question

Planning my miter station build, and the miter saw will be in a 30" wide cabinet, sitting between 2 - 2' wide base cabinets on each side, so total width of the station will be ~10 1/2'. On the left end I want to place the router table. The countertop depth is ~29", and I plan to have a set of various 15" deep upper wall cabinets above, that will be ~16" of clearance above the base cabinets.
    Plan to use a JessEm - Rout-R-Lift II Router Lift For 3-1/2" Diameter Motors, so the size of the plate is ~ 10" x 12"

My Questions are-
    how far back should I place the router plate? I assume as long as I keep the center of the plate (bit center), ~2 inches just forward of the upper cabinets, it should avoid most issues with obstruction with uppers, but also give me enough support in front of the plate. So if I placed it leaving 12" of space between front edge and center of router plate, is that sound reasoning? What am I missing?
    Also, want to add a measuring tape with stop block for the miter saw. Planning to have that run about 5" behind and parallel to front edge of the countertop, which would place it an inch/two forward of the router plate.
    Is this all sound reasoning? What am I missing? I am not that familiar with router table setups, so not sure what other factors I am not taking into account. TY so much for any input!! Dave

Blog Entries
    Tough question since we all use tools differently. My router table is integrated into my tablesaw so that both tools get the benefit of the increased surface area. This is important to me, maybe not to you.
    SawStop (3).jpg
    I place my router plate, and therefor my bit, at the same general distance from the miter slot as my tablesaw slot / blade. This let's me use jigs and setups on both machines without a lot of re-adjustment.
    GnG Wall Cab (23).jpg
    As for upper cabinets, having a vertical restriction over my router bit of anything under about 3 feet would be a problem for me, maybe not for you.
    RT-Fence-Tall-ver-2-first-cuts 002.jpg
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 07-16-2021 at 1:50 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Assuming your router table fence is removable, put the plate in a position that it will be actually comfortable for you to work with material. "Way back" isn't likely the place as so many routing operations are with narrower material and you need to be able to move the material consistently through the cut. But you also need to be sure that you can handle larger or odd-ball shaped pieces, too, so open space behind the router setup is also important, IMHO.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...