Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No more MJ Splitter - time to make my own

No more MJ Splitter - time to make my own

I lost the green splitter for my MJ Splitter so I went online to see where I could get a replacement.
    It looks like MicroJig is the only place to get one.

They sell a two pack for - $8.95 plus $5.95 shipping.

I was all set to just order it - when - I thought about it.

$8.95 for a tiny piece of plastic is bad enough - but - $5.95 shipping? Really? Something that can fit easily in an envelope and be mailed for all of $.55?

I think it about time to make my own out of a scrap of wood.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Shipping isn't just the cost of postage...it's also the cost of labor to pick and pack and send. They are making next to nothing in the larger scope of things for those two little pieces of plastic, even if their cost is nil. Wages have to be paid.

That said, you have the capability of making replacements, to that's a great option over buying!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    I look at total cost and value. How long did the easily removed and replaced little buggers last you. I am still using ones from 15 years ago or more. One leg actually snapped off on one of them finally. You can certainly make your own. The advantage of them for me is the removing for non-through cuts and the easy replacement when I want them back in the operation. Grizzly will ship them for $5 although it doubled if I wanted 3 pair just now. If the $5.95 is consistent for multiples you could buy a lifetime supply and maximize your shipping dollars ;-)
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I just recently had to order some screws and send them to a customer in Maui. I only needed 8 screws, but they only came in 100's. They were only $9 for 100 - not that bad. But the shipping to Maui cost me over $50.

I used to be in a business that shipped very small things that could fit in an envelope and would take maybe 2 stamps, but I always charged $3 or so to ship it, which covered the mailer envelope, the shipping label, and got me first class mail with tracking. The tracking was the big part- with a letter, you never know when it gets there and customers can complain "Hey where's my stuff?" or say it was never delivered. So I just decided to say you know what, I'm not shipping without tracking.

I think I saw replacement inserts at Rockler a while back.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    $8.95 for a tiny piece of plastic is bad enough - but - $5.95 shipping? Really? Something that can fit easily in an envelope and be mailed for all of $.55?

I think it about time to make my own out of a scrap of wood.
    Hopefully you never have the joy of being in business because someone quibbling over a $15 purchase when there is a padded envelope, postage, labor, web portal, credit card processing fees, is a scenario that leads to white-hot-poker-in-the-eye.. We are screwed.

Have you tried Amazon? I just took a look and it was listed as shipped free. I did not press "buy", sometimes they add the shipping after. There's more than 1 seller. Re-seller I guess I should say.

I'm retired and my hourly rate is too high to make these for what they charge. Ever been hit in the belly by a kickback?
    Jerry

"It is better to fail in originality than succeed in imitation" - Herman Melville

Have you tried Amazon?
    Amazon only has the thin kerf (yellow). I need the 1/8" full kerf (green).

If the $5.95 is consistent for multiples you could buy a lifetime supply and maximize your shipping dollars ;-)
    Thank you for the suggestion. That's exactly what I ended up doing. The $5.95 is for orders under $40. I bit the bullet and ordered 3 sets. It helped spread the cost - but - I'm still irked about the shipping.
    Oh well....
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon

Buy a 3D printer and print your own. I have one and it comes in handy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich Engelhardt View Post
    Amazon only has the thin kerf (yellow). I need the 1/8" full kerf (green).

Thank you for the suggestion. That's exactly what I ended up doing. The $5.95 is for orders under $40. I bit the bullet and ordered 3 sets. It helped spread the cost - but - I'm still irked about the shipping.
    Oh well....
    I hear you. We have all been spoiled by Amazon. Even though I know the cost is rolled up in there somewhere my knee-jerk reaction to paying ANYTHING for shipping is . . . whaaaat!!!
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Cary, what did the 3D printer and basic stock cost?
    LOL!!
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

As they used to say
    Prusa I3 MK3S - $750
    1kg spool filliment - $19.99
    Ability to print a MJ splitter(or anthing else I need) ------ Priceless!!!!!

Buy a 3D printer and print your own
    That's really not a bad idea at all. I can see a point in the future where they may just sell the scan of a part & you print out the actual part on your 3D printer.