Thread: Need to replace a spindle lock pin

Need to replace a spindle lock pin

The lathe is a Grizzly GO800, which is a Harvey Tool lathe, basically the same as a Laguna.

User error - started up a 12" a 2" bowl blank while the spindle lock pin was still in. I have done this before while turning light objects and there was not a problem. This time the momentum ground the spindle lock pin into the spindle pulley and bent the spindle lock pin.

This is not carried by Grizzly. I welcome other suggestions to replace the part.

Grizzly P0835140 - SPINDLE LOCK PIN M16-1.5 X 48 V2.02.18
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Brian Kent; 07-15-2021 at 6:59 PM.
    Veni Vidi Vendi Vente! I came, I saw, I bought a large coffee!

Brian, that setup looks very similar to my Laguna 24/36, the cast iron model that was sold in Aus before they went to steel beds. I bent mine trying to remove a stuck chuck. Try and unscrew the whole pin assembly to straighten it, the pin may break. If so take it to a machine shop and get them to make a replacement.
    Rgds,
    Richard.

Richard, does the chrome angled part that holds the pin unscrew? Is that part of the assembly?

Brian, if you could give us another photo from the outside, I can compare it with mine?
    Rgds,
    Richard.

Here is the photo. I tried to unscrew it but the pin is jammed in against the pulley.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Brian, you might try contacting Harvey Industries (in Montclair, Ca.) which is importing and selling this lathe. Perhaps you can buy the part from them.

Thank you. And since the pin is wedged tight in there, are bolt cutters a legit option for removal?
    Or a hacksaw with extended end of blad?

It looks the same, from memory the main body screwed out leaving the bent pin behind, which then came out.
    Richard.

If you snip off the end with bolt cutters, you'll still need to drive the pin out of there. Either that or abandon that spot and redrill a second hole for the pin. If the original pin is threaded, you won't be able to drive it out but perhaps an "easy out" (and turning in reverse) will unthread it. Just "thinking out loud".

What size hex key would fit the set screw: SET SCREW M6-1 X 6I am trying to loosen the pulley to free up the bent pin.

Thank you

If it is M6, don't try to use an imperial one as you may damage it and then it will be a real hard job to get it out to replace it.
    Richard.

Also don't skimp on the quality of hex keys, use the good stuff, if the set screw gets damaged, a left hand carbide drill should back it out. If you have penetration oil spray and let it set overnight.

I found a way to get the bent part out. Grizzly will check to see if they have one the right size. Harvey industries have been helpful but do not have the spare part. If I can't get one I will see if a local machinist can make one.

Meanwhile, do I need a spindle lock pin to use the lathe for normal operations? There is another way to hold it in place while changing chucks.

Brian, when I screw on my chuck, I don't use excessive force. Just enough to seat it. So, if I lost my spindle key, I'd probably just hold the spindle knob (left side) and yank sharply on my chuck wrench. If that didn't work then I might put a strap wrench on the spindle handle and yank the chuck wrench. On another lathe, I would squeeze the drive vee or ribbed belt together with one hand and use a wrench with the other hand.

If your bent locking pin is threaded, can you screw it in even further so that you can hacksaw off the bent part and then use a file to even-out the end and remove any remaining portion of the bent part? That way, it will unscrew easier than trying to unscrew it and you're less likely to snap it off.