Thread: Why are only joist hanger nails collated with paper tape

Why are only joist hanger nails collated with paper tape

AFAIK all joist hanger nails for guns are made with paper tape. The guns are standardized and all use the same angle etc. Paper seems like less mess to clean up. I supose it is an issue if they get wet.
    I know the clipped head nails are no longer code in the west or east.
    Bill D

Not really sure what your speaking to with regards to joist hanger nails? Most all clipped head nails are paper collimated because the nail shank is nested one-behind-the other to increase magazine capacity (why clipped are popular). We never shoot/shot paper/clipped head nails because the region we were in disallowed them due to holding (the heads would pull through the material before the shank would release) but then companies like Pasload began to heavily glue coat the entire nail and honestly you could never get one out, ever. But we still never shot them.

Out of the construction trade at this point but still only shoot full round head 21 degree wire collimated nails. The nails look just like a box nail no difference. Run some 21 degree clip guns and 2 coil guns. The coil guns suck for weight but the reload on a full round head clipped magazine nail kinda sucks because half as many nails but none the less you get a full round head.

Ill never shoot clipped head nails.. if I do I may as well use a finish nailer.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 07-15-2021 at 2:18 PM.

Positive placement nails. a special gun that shots one nail at a time into preexisting hole in a metal support clip.
    Bill D.

What is your issue with "cleaning up paper"?

Joist hanger nails (and screws) have a much higher shear strength than standard common nails. Maybe the paper is a way to identify these at a glance. Although it's probably so no collating material gets jammed in the metal hanger
    Last edited by Edward Weber; 07-15-2021 at 3:37 PM.

Not 100% but would imagine you wouldn't want oil or manufacturing residue on the hanger nail as it might reduce the holding power which means they need to clean them (which is what is required for paper collated), I believe the plastic collated needs the nail to be a little slippery for the manufacturing of them. Also the paper is pretty durable today, they have fixed the past issues of them falling apart, at least with the Paslodes I have used

Paper is a lot easier to clean up than the plastic shards from most collated nails. Seems like it should be a way to earn LEED points. I have old senco finishing nails that are paper collated.

Started out with a Senco SNIV with paper collated nails always happy with the performance of the nails, twenty years later bought coil guns and like them better due to size, hold more nails and a lot shorter. Never felt the clipped head nail gave up that much holding strength to the full round head, yes you could pull a 2x? off and leave the nails behind however the 2x? would be split , fractured, etc and not able to hold well any way. The coil nailer is nice in as far as I have found out any coil nails fit it, don't have to be a particular angle gauge etc. Never did the production work some on here have and still do.
    Ron

The issue with the clipped head nails is the same reason staples are no longer allowed for shingles. Al and wind testing has been done with round head nails. With clipped head which direction is best to hold the forces expected? How does the inspector verify each nail was oriented correctly. No good way to test sinc ethe forces will vary.
    Staples work okay as long as they are parallel to the long axis of the shingle. Problem is most workers were pivoting guns as they reached away. They did not move between each shot to align the gun. Solution was to outlaw staples since a round head roofing nail can not be misaligned.
    Bill D

I have a Stanley Bostitch F33PT framing gun that shoots paper collated nails. It also has an attachment to shoot joist hanger nails.

I bought it when I built my cabin so I could shoot both types of nails only to find out I could use Timberlok fasteners instead of joist hangers. The Timberloks were the bees knees for anchoring the trusses to the top plate.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation