Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jigsaw advice for continuous use

Jigsaw advice for continuous use

I'm looking for a jigsaw that can handle hours of continuous cutting of 4/4 hardwoods. Without getting hot.

The Bosch JS572EBK is a great saw, but gets so hot I have to keep taking breaks. Even wearing gloves isn't enough. It's a wonder it doesn't shut itself down. I've got a handful of different blades to try from and try to use fresh blades.

Would the Carvex, Mafell, or other option be up for this? For my application a bandsaw won't work. I don't mind stopping once in a while, but with my Bosch I'm stopping every 5-10 minutes.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Have you ever considered a pneumatic saw, I know bosch has one Bosch 7561-118, that's just one example, there are other brands

Pretty sure you're over taxing the design of your jigsaw. In your place, I'd consider having an extra or two one hand for convenience if this is something you do a lot.

Yep, buy two more and rotate them out would be the simplest solution. I have a Carvex which has been the best jigsaw I've owned (compared to a Bosch, Milwaukee, and Dewalt versions). What operations are you doing continuously and could you use a different tool to do some of the work? What about a little 9" bandsaw or a scroll saw for the job site?

Man, that air jigsaw looks great. I'd need a bigger compressor to run it though...27cfm!

Here's what I'm doing. up to 6' panels of multiple boards.

2021-03-03_17-01-57 copy.jpg
    JonathanJungDesign.com

I suspect all of these were never intended for continuous use of the motors and mechanism. I'm not surprised if they heat up. I'll second the motion that having two so you can switch off is likely a good solution. I'd personally stick to the same brand/model so switching back and forth is seamless in feel and function.

I have the older Festool...it was actually the first Festool I bought...and it works well, but I've never used it for long periods of time. It does run warm, but my hands like that anyway. LOL
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Since you are looking to buy something else anyway I would just buy a second saw of the type you already have. It is obviously up to the task and you would just switch back and forth as the temps rose.

OOPS! Dave already said that
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Im not sure how possible, but perhaps you switch to a d-handle and find away to liquid cool the motor.

I have had the barrel grip Carvex for quite a few years. I’ve not noticed it getting hot, but also probably never run it for long periods. It’s a bit of a finicky machine and overpriced when you add in the accessory kit. I’d try the Mafell if I were starting over. Bosch makes good jigsaws, or at least they once did.

If you haven’t delved deep into the various blades, you might start there. The correct blade for your project can transform even a mediocre saw; take a lot of load off the motor.

Blog Entries
    Since jig saws are not very expensive, I'd get a couple extra & rotate them, as others have suggested. BTW, those panels are beautiful.

Blog Entries
    Which blades are you using? Try the Progressor T234X blades or the T101B blades both will give you smooth cuts, and use the orbital feature so the sawdust can clear out of the cut better. Just how long an interval are you cutting?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Haha, that was my dad's idea. Some sort of water radiator.
    Quote Originally Posted by George Yetka View Post
    Im not sure how possible, but perhaps you switch to a d-handle and find away to liquid cool the motor.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

It's been suggested to me on another forum (festoolownersgroup) to look into the Mafell jigsaw. It can run double thick blades which will cut my workflow time in half, and hopefully be able to handle the stress. Timberwolf tools will let me buy it, try it, and send it back if I don't like it for a 85% refund.
    JonathanJungDesign.com

My next panel would take about 2 days of cutting, with letting my single jigsaw cool down every 10 minutes. Approx 120 linear feet of joints, which require 3-5 passes...so 600 linear feet of ripping 4/4 hardwood is not out of the question.

I've been using both Bosch and Festool blades. The orbital feature can't be higher than 1 or else the cut quality on curves is reduced.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    Which blades are you using? Try the Progressor T234X blades or the T101B blades both will give you smooth cuts, and use the orbital feature so the sawdust can clear out of the cut better. Just how long an interval are you cutting?
    JonathanJungDesign.com

Timberwolf tools will let me buy it, try it, and send it back if I don't like it for a 85% refund.
    FYI - in case you didn't know already. Festool has a 30 day money back guarantee.
    My granddad always said, :As one door closes, another opens".
    Wonderful man, terrible cabinet maker...